'Silent' cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You forgot the installed "boom boxes". You can feel them long before you'll see them.

Oh yep... I was blasting Prince from my 7 speaker set up (PS standard fit to a 2002 family car with sub woofer under my chair)...... Sorry.....:evil:

Levo-Lon

Guru
X files thread lol

i have a eco diesel 'cuts out at stops' tho it has a on off switch on the dash ,i struggle to hear most cars when im going over 15mph with the wind noise and helmet noise..

Whilst I understand where you are coming from I would rather be breathing in the fumes from an electric car than a fossil fuelled one in a traffic queue.

Living away from a city centre. I'd rather be breathing the fumes of a few fossil fuel cars, than the fumes of electric generation.

It's just down to wanting to move the pollution from 1 location to another, and can't be a long term solution.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have such a car that cuts off at traffic lights.

I've had a few sheds like that myself.

spen666

Legendary Member
Whilst I understand where you are coming from I would rather be breathing in the fumes from an electric car than a fossil fuelled one in a traffic queue.
Is this not a bit of a NIMBY approach.

You in the city are avoiding the fumes, but those near the power stations producing the electricity get the fumes instead.

Tommy2

Über Member
I have such a car that cuts off at traffic lights. To be fair, I regard it as a gimmick as it doesn't always work and I don't think it saves that much fuel. :okay:
There are certain criteria the car must detect for the auto stop/start to function such as temperature and battery voltage.

Starting an engine causes most wear; people who might save a few pence will have to pay in the future:http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/stop-start-long-term-impact-your-car-s-engine
Realistically the engineers will be ensuring the engines last just as long as the conventional versions.

Plus looking around, it's difficult to find much in the way of reputable sources of information, other than those mentioning various brand names that look like to be trying to push their name for the production of new bearing materials.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
starting an engine from cold causes the most wear. Starting a warm engine is not so bad as everything is already at working temperature.

Top Bottom