Silly Hills Why so Hard?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

Now I don't mind going up a hill or two but does anyone else find the silly little hills harder than nasty ones?

For example (for London readers) the Farringdon Road from Blackfriars up towards Kings X.

Not very steep but horrible!

Anyone else suffer from small hill syndrome?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I wouldn't call Shooters Hill a small hill but it's definitely silly! It's not like you're climbing over a ridge or anything, it's just a round hill in the middle of an otherwise fairly flat landscape that I have to go over twice a day!! It has no purpose whatsoever apart from to hurt your legs. Apparently the views from the top are very good but by the time I get to the top I'm concentrating on breathing!:biggrin:

adds21

Rider of bikes
Yes! I do.

On my commute home, I (usually) cycle over and back down an 800 foot hill (Dundry, for those in Bristol), just to avoid a "horrible" 50 foot climb the other way. Okay, so it's not the only reason I go that way, but it's a real contributing factor.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I don't mind small hills, unless I'm pulling too much weight or am knackered. Big hills are easier for me as they give a definite target. Focus, spin, claim the glory.

There's the odd little one that just robs me of speed for no good reason. The kind of day when you'd swear your brakes are rubbing, tyres down, saddle positioned wrong. No glory. No challenge. But near impossible :biggrin:

Davidc

Guru
I've notied that. Sometimes if I'm cycling to Bridgwater I'll go over the top of the Quantocks including a 1 in 5 rather than go up and down the silly little hills round the end*.

I can always use the canal instead but the path's a bit rough for my backside and I can't go as fast.

*Could also have something to do with enjoying the downhill on the other side though :biggrin:.

gavintc

Guru
I have two hills to get over on my commute - both are 9% at the steepest and are generally 6-8% for the majority of the climb. I find them irritatingly sapping on energy and I know I should be able to do better, but have a mental block on these hills. Sadly, my downhill bit on both hills is speed restricted and I have slower cars to contend with.

NigC

Yes, about the first two-thirds of my journey in is on a small incline that you hardly notice, but if I'm not quite feeling 100% it can really sap the energy. Of course, it does make it a nice journey home.

On the flip side, coming home there are two larger hills that take a fair bit of effort to climb, but as these are obvious and relatively short, they act as motivators to put the effort in. Then once these have been cleared, it's downhill the rest of the way home :smile:

OP
OP
L

Lizban

martint235 said:
I wouldn't call Shooters Hill a small hill but it's definitely silly! It's not like you're climbing over a ridge or anything, it's just a round hill in the middle of an otherwise fairly flat landscape that I have to go over twice a day!! It has no purpose whatsoever apart from to hurt your legs. Apparently the views from the top are very good but by the time I get to the top I'm concentrating on breathing!:smile:

Shooters Hill is horrid esp. when you have come up through the park or over Blackheath Hill

martint235

Dog on a bike
Lizban said:
Shooters Hill is horrid esp. when you have come up through the park or over Blackheath Hill

And from Waterloo, they are my only two approaches! I'm currently using the park route as the traffic was getting silly at Blackheath Hill a couple of months ago.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Lizban said:
Now I don't mind going up a hill or two but does anyone else find the silly little hills harder than nasty ones?

For example (for London readers) the Farringdon Road from Blackfriars up towards Kings X.

Not very steep but horrible!

Anyone else suffer from small hill syndrome?

I think I know the one you mean. As you pass under the bridge? It's just a speed sapping blip. Although now you're aware of it gear up, stand up and power on through. :biggrin:

How far north do you head? Dartmouth Park Hill is a good one heading north from Tufnell Park up towards Highgate. Lovely little steep blip right at the end of the climb. :smile:

OP
OP
L

Lizban

HaloJ said:
I think I know the one you mean. As you pass under the bridge? It's just a speed sapping blip. Although now you're aware of it gear up, stand up and power on through. :biggrin:

How far north do you head? Dartmouth Park Hill is a good one heading north from Tufnell Park up towards Highgate. Lovely little steep blip right at the end of the climb. :smile:

my office is near Mount Pleasant Post office don't get that far

OP
OP
L

Lizban

martint235 said:
And from Waterloo, they are my only two approaches! I'm currently using the park route as the traffic was getting silly at Blackheath Hill a couple of months ago.

Park is so much nicer then you can cut through St Johns and miss out the Sun in Sands

Top Bottom