Silver King Oil lamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob500

20 years back my Grandfather gave me this Joseph Lucas Silver King Oil Lamp. I thought members might like to see an 'olden days lamp' z1.jpg z2.jpg z3.jpg z4.jpg

My Grandfather had one too, was rather rusty and needed a good clean. After he died it was left on a shelf in the garage for many years. I remember picking it up and wishing I would be allowed to use it on my bike (I was probably about 10 at the time). It got thrown out when we moved house some 40 years ago:sad:

Did you carry out any restoration to bring it up to the present condition- it looks magnificent!

OP
OP
Rob500

Rob500

Hi Martyn. That's a real pity about your Grandfather's old bicycle light. I haven't done anything with this one. The condition it's in is the condition I got it in. It was in my GF's WW2 RN brown luggage case containing his documents, photos and medals etc which he gave to me. The old lamp et al are of immeasurable sentimental value to me.

sidevalve

Über Member
A really nice thing, and a true piece of cycling history. Have you ever thought of giving it a try ?
As a thought most m/cycles [and some cycles] used carbide lamps as they were brighter, when they were working that is.Has anyone got one of those in their collection ?

OP
OP
Rob500

Rob500

@ Raindog. Yes the bracket system is a nice piece of work.

@ Thegravestoneman. That's a great little story from your GF's boyhood days. What size battery goes in your current lamp?

@ Sidevalve. I've never even thought of trying it out tbh. :sad:. It's in such fine condition that I'd be scared of damaging it.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
It's heath robinson conversion using C size batteries in a battery carrier from I believe a model shop a bit of solder and a bit of bodging it is reliable though, if not that bright.

ALAN BODNARCHUK

Hi all i was wonder if anyone knew any info on oil lamp wicks as in what size most use and what do they use as wadding in oil tanks, thanks Al.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
A really nice thing, and a true piece of cycling history. Have you ever thought of giving it a try ?
As a thought most m/cycles [and some cycles] used carbide lamps as they were brighter, when they were working that is.Has anyone got one of those in their collection ?

I remember acquiring a carbide lamp many years ago. The gas was produced by water dripping from a small container on the top of the lamp and from time to time we had to refill by pee-ing into it. perhaps that is why it smelt funny. :blush:

tyred

Legendary Member
I have to say I would love to see a Carbide lamp in action. Reckoned to be very bright. I have seen the lamps but never one which is working. I understand it is illegal to possess carbide in Northern Ireland.

Top Bottom