Simon Mayo Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Simon Mayo is still doing the weekly Kermode-Mayo film show on BBC Radio5, been running for several years. (and it's very good :smile: )
Yeah, I listen via podcast.
but his main gig is a weekday show on Scala Radio with the Bauer Group.
I doubt he is a BBC employee anymore. Just a mouth for hire.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have got fed with R2. Since the changes they are now very 1980's obsessed. With the exception of a few programs in the evening and at the weekends the presenters seem to think that music started started in 1980. It is now rare to hear music from the 50's, 60,s and 70's during the normal weekday programming. It has gone from a middle of the road, easy listening station to a presenters fest from their younger wilder days of celebrity notoriety.:music:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What's the name of Simon Mayo's classical music radio commercial station? Isn't he one of the founding director shareholders? [Edit: can't find any references to who owns the station but have found out it's Scala Radio- owned by the Bauer Radio Group, but you have to accept cookies to get into the Bauer website.]

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I have got fed with R2. Since the changes they are now very 1980's obsessed. With the exception of a few programs in the evening and at the weekends the presenters seem to think that music started started in 1980. It is now rare to hear music from the 50's, 60,s and 70's during the normal weekday programming. It has gone from a middle of the road, easy listening station to a presenters fest from their younger wilder days of celebrity notoriety.:music:

Me too - just about the only thing I listen to now is Ken Bruce. I used to enjoy Sounds of the Sixties but Tony Blackburn's dad jokes irritate the hell out of me. Not quite as much as Simon Mayo did mind you.

Someone on here mentioned Solid Gold Gem online station & I've been listening to that a lot.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Their stated target audience is +35, so that means the music will be 80s - 90s focused.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Strange thing musical tastes, target audience vs age.

Mostly stations assume that the age group they are aiming at are locked in a period of history that is relevant to their younger years.

Mind you, listening to some of the music our similar aged friends listen to non-stop they may well be right.

We do 'go back' occasionally (Spotify Premium service) but tbh we sometimes wonder what we heard in the 'tracks of our years' - poor recordings, compressed sound-stages and music that has simply become dull through familiarisation.

It's Nostalgia FM - Music from The Good Old Days!

I am guilty of liking more stuff from my teenage years than other periods, but I love a lot of artists who recorded before that; some were referred to me by friends and/or big sis, but most are stuff I heard on the radio. It's a dreadful idea that radio stations either just play:
- current hits ("Top40" in the old days :biggrin: ), or
- hits from <selected decade for target demographic>

Sadly I do know of stations exactly like this :angry:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Simon Mayo used to be great when he was on Radio 5 Live during the 2000's. He used to invite all these luminaries from different fields and he never seemed to ask a stupid question. I was just getting into it when the programme finished. His film review programme with Mark Kermode is really good too. He may not have had much chemistry with Jo Whiley, but he gets on like a house on fire with Mark Kermode.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Kermode is highly revered in Private Eye.

Attachments

• DXtRc8sXkAI1kc2.jpg
    DXtRc8sXkAI1kc2.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom