Simon Mayo Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I can see Sara Cox as a good idea for replacing the abysmal, sycophantic Steve Wright, but the choice for the 'drivetime' show is a bit trickier. As Mayo is leaving and I think Whiley has always felt more 'natural' in a slightly 'warmer', evening slot, my suggestion for the drivetime show would be the hugely under-rated Alex Lester.

Lester used to be on from 0200 am to 0500 am. Not dissimilar in style to Mayo (whom I like) but with less of a thing about Prosecco. Lester is funny, but not in a 'frenetic' style, solid and competent. I liked his ongoing saga of Bolloxnia, an imaginary country who's entire economy was based upon sausage and sausage related products...

Alex Lester is distinctive, and he did a good job of standing in on drivetime several years ago.

No chance, though, because he blotted his copybook at the BBC in a way that was never fully explained.

He was dumped from his graveyard show with very little warning, in contrast to the likes of Chris Evans who get months to say goodbye.

perplexed

Guru
Alex Lester is distinctive, and he did a good job of standing in on drivetime several years ago.

No chance, though, because he blotted his copybook at the BBC in a way that was never fully explained.

He was dumped from his graveyard show with very little warning, in contrast to the likes of Chris Evans who get months to say goodbye.

I thought I'd not heard him for a while - didn't know about the other bit about his copybook...

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A few suggestions of male presenters coming through. Is there much likelihood that the new presenter will be male?
If it's a lone presenter I'd say not, but R2 may try another mixed pairing.

Maybe a bit outrageous but, how about they choose the best presenter regardless of genitals?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Some people were moaning the schedule was too white, male, and over 50, so management responded to that pressure and bought in Whiley.

No reason to think it wouldn't work, she knows one end of a radio microphone from the other, but it didn't work.

So management responded to that pressure by binning Whiley and Mayo (or he may have spat the dummy) for someone yet to be revealed.

The Radio 2 breakfast programme is the most popular show in the country, and Ken Bruce appears well-liked.

I can't see what the management should have done, given that producing radio shows is not an exact science.

Inevitably, there will be an element of suck it and see.

A complete failure, such as Mayo/Whiley, is rare for Radio 2.
Of course there’s no handbook for this. But if these suits haven’t got their finger on the pulse how can they make a good decision?
They should learn from the past.
R2 is now the R1 of the 80’s and 90’s. They had to do this when they alienated loads of listeners by shaking up R1 back in the day.

I once read Johnnie Walkers autobiography. It seems that radio management do this kind of thing with a successful show.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Danny Baker. I think he's had several Sony awards.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Academy_Awards
I would love to see The Candyman back on a daily programme, i just dont think the general public understand him, he is too arch for Radio 2 drivetime. They are looking for vanilla options that cover all the bases.
You are dealing with an audience who find Steve Wright funny, clever and sureal humour is lost on these guys.

Top Bottom