SIMPLE fajita ideas wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
have I got it right that Fajitas, Burritos, Tacos etc all depend on what you put in them
In my experience, Fajitas are wraps containing hot (seasoned) meat, peppers, salsa and sour cream. Burritos aren't much different but when I got one from a Burrito bar it was very fat and filled with cheese, coleslaw etc. Tacos are hard crispy shells. And then there's enchilada as mentioned above which I've had at a Mexican restaurant and seemed to be the same as a Fajita but cooked in tomatoe sauce with cheese on top, not something you'd eat with your hands.

My top tip is to spread guac and/or sour cream on the wrap before you put your ingredients in, it helps it stick together and you avoid devouring all of the sauce in one mouthful becasue it's spread out

T4tomo

Legendary Member
They can be soft too, don’t need to be folded either

Ok the "The old el paso hard shell" may not be 100% authentic, I've seen them made with smaller soft-ish "shells", but not a regular fajita flat bread, but they absolutely must be folded to eat them.

Tacos are the mexican working man's cornish pasty, i.e eaten with the hands. If anyone can eat one without folding it they must have a massive mush :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That makes me think, I might try making a cornish pasty mix and putting that in a wrap. I love pasties but I struggle with gluten free pastry

I'd be more inclined to do a mexican inspired pasty. Chicken, onions, peppers, season in proper pastry.

I think I have seen "quick" pasties made with wraps or similar somewhere. sunday magazine midweek dinner special or something. i no nowt about GF, but assume you can get GF wraps, in which case your idea makes a lot of sense.

vickster

Legendary Member
Empanadas are little Argentinian pasties as an alternative! Plenty of recipes through Google, they usually have beef in though (although BBC good food has a chicken or veggie option)

icowden

Veteran
Classic fajita is very simple: strips of meat with spicy rub, strips of fried pepper and onion, guacamole (or simply smashed avo) and sour cream.
The classic is skirt steak, spicy rub, flash fried then cut across the grain into strips. Strips are the distinguishing feature of fajita
I used to use oxo Mexican stock cubes and a touch of olive oil as a very simple rub.
No need to be precious about recipes or proportions - this is street food.
I'd avoid cooking the meat in a wet sauce - just too messy to eat. Dry rub us the way to go.
I second this. If you don't like Guacamole, tomato salsa is a good alternative (some like both). We do pretty much the above but with old el paso fajita rub and usually chicken rather than steak. I prefer steak, but my wife and youngest daughter won't eat it.

As PK said - you want the meat to be dry otherwise your tortilla will collapse into a soggy mess.

This thread is making me hungry ... thinly sliced rare rump steak thats had very spicy dry rub then rested for 10 minutes, some grated strong cheddar with all the other bits. A nice cold beer.

Top Bottom