SIMPLE fajita ideas wanted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
May surprise some but I have never tried a Fajita.
My plan is to use shop bought Fajitas.
I am thinking of basic things eg chicken and salad. Maybe cook the chicken in a piri piri sauce (I have a jar sitting in the fridge).
So......
Does that sound OK?
Any other SIMPLE suggestions?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Chicken, peppers (red orange yellow) , onions, salsa, guacamole, sour cream sauces.

vickster

Legendary Member
Prawns?
When you say shop bought fajitas do you actually mean the tortilla wraps?
When you say salad, I wouldn’t add lettuce or cucumber as it’ll be warm and soggy!
I don’t much like fajitas because of the (at least shop bought) seasoning and bell peppers disagree with me…
I do like a good burrito though (as long as no bell peppers!)

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Prawns?
When you say shop bought fajitas do you actually mean the tortilla wraps?
When you say salad, I wouldn’t add lettuce or cucumber as it’ll be warm and soggy!
I don’t much like fajitas because of the (at least shop bought) seasoning and bell peppers disagree with me…
I do like a good burrito though (as long as no bell peppers!)

Yes.....those wrap things. Are they different ?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Chips (cooked in lard) and plenty of tomato sauce. Anyone suggesting anything is else is wrong and should be ignored. If you want to go really exotic, replace the fajita with white bread with lots of butter on it.

PK99

Legendary Member
Classic fajita is very simple: strips of meat with spicy rub, strips of fried pepper and onion, guacamole (or simply smashed avo) and sour cream.

The classic is skirt steak, spicy rub, flash fried then cut across the grain into strips. Strips are the distinguishing feature of fajita

I used to use oxo Mexican stock cubes and a touch of olive oil as a very simple rub.

No need to be precious about recipes or proportions - this is street food.

I'd avoid cooking the meat in a wet sauce - just too messy to eat. Dry rub us the way to go.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes.....those wrap things. Are they different ?

Yes those are tortillas. Fajitas are those filled with sizzling stuff

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My partner often buys the Old El Paso boxes where you get the wraps, meat seasoning and salsa. They are expensive for what they are, and the seasoning is horrible.

I prefer uncooked peppers and tomatoes and/or salsa. Sour cream and guacamole also good but some shop bought guacamole is hideous. Easy to make your own.

Finally look up how to roll them properly or like me it'll turn into an open sandwich which gets all over your face and hands!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
So..... have I got it right that Fajitas, Burritos, Tacos etc all depend on what you put in them. The actual base is the same with choices eg wholemeal/white etc.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
So..... have I got it right that Fajitas, Burritos, Tacos etc all depend on what you put in them. The actual base is the same with choices eg wholemeal/white etc.

Almost. I think Tacos are the hard corn folded over shell thingies. A burrito, fajita, enchilada all use the soft wrapped i tink, the latter being baked in the oven after being covered in sauce and cheese.

It Mexico, its mainly the main ingredients chucked together in different ways.

Have a tequila and stop stressing. Nacho anyone?

vickster

Legendary Member
Almost. I think Tacos are the hard corn folded over shell thingies. A burrito, fajita, enchilada all use the soft wrapped i tink, the latter being baked in the oven after being covered in sauce and cheese.

It Mexico, its mainly the main ingredients chucked together in different ways.

Have a tequila and stop stressing. Nacho anyone?

They can be soft too, don’t need to be folded either

Top Bottom