Simple Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Slight thread hi-jack :whistle: Do these need a smart phone too for full functionality? I do have a pc / wi-fi, so not a complete luddite :okay:
The Wahoo does for setup. You need the companion app on your phone (or could presumably do it on a tablet) to set up your profile and customise the pages and to download routes. You also need it if you want to upload your rides to strava or other similar sites.

It doesn't need the phone while in use, though I usually do have it paired up while riding - it will alert you then to text messages or phone calls.

I believe the Garmin can be set up without an app, but is a lot more fiddly.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Slight thread hi-jack :whistle: Do these need a smart phone too for full functionality? I do have a pc / wi-fi, so not a complete luddite :okay:
Short answer, yes they do.

For "full functionality" - both have lots of functions that use Bluetooth/phone. So if you don't have these things you won't get the functions (although you'd still be paying for them) so you wouldn't get full functionality.

For "basic functionality" (GPS location, speed, distance, upload download etc etc) no, although I think you may be a bit stuck setting up the Wahoo without the app. But I could be wrong.

You might be better off looking for a more basic device. And first of all listing out what it is you want from the device.

I believe the Garmin can be set up without an app, but is a lot more fiddly.
It can be set up without an app. In fact that's the only way to set it up. It is indeed very fiddly.

Last edited:
I've the 530. Very happy with it and the climb thing is useful. It doesn't do every climb though - just the bigger ones. It's good to see where you are on a strange climb.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Which would you pick, Garmin 530 or Wahoo Roam, that is all.^_^
I've had two Garmin 810s and based on my experience would never buy another Garmin. Neither ever worked in the way I expected.

My Wahoo Elemnt is now three years old and has never missed a beat. I would buy another tomorrow without hesitation.

Top Bottom