Simple smart phone recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It looks like I'm going to have to get a smart phone when I move next month. I'm a card-carriyng Luddite so I really don't want to, and I have no clue what to expect. I'm getting one because it means I can use Skype and Wattsapp to communicate with the family.
An ability to use one of the cycling route planner apps would also be good but not essential. It's probably more important that it is relatively robust either by design or the ability to make it thus would be nice as I destroy delicate electronic things.
I'm not sure what to look for or how much to expect to pay. If I can get something reliable second hand I'd prefer it, but is it worth the effort?

Having done the maths I prefer to buy a phone outright rather than get a "free" phone & pay a monthly sub - but of course Germany might be different.

I've ruined or lost a couple of "good" phones and now take the approach of going for a cheapy Chinese with a view to replacing it more frequently.
With a Google account it's easy to switch over to a new phone and I get the advantage of reasonably up to date software.

What I have found to be less robust on the cheaper phones are the mini USB ports for charging - a reason I'd personally stay away from a second hand phone. (Also an issue for people using a phone to navigate on a bike using a dynamo or powerbank).

There are "tough" phones out there (Amazon is your friend) or you can toughen up your phone with a screen over and a decent case. Often available as add-ons on Amazon.

One issue with apps is that they often need newer versions of the Android operating system to work. That means that over time (years rather than months) some apps will stop working. Also a consideration if buying second hand.

If all you want is to do is use Skype/WhatsApp and don't actually need it to be mobile you could consider a tablet that lives at home and is never taken out - it might live longer^_^.

Why not ask the kids? They're probably more aware of what's out there than most of us! ^_^

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Secondhand probably not worth it as you can get a cracking new Android phone for a bargain price now.
Both Motorola and Nokia produce some good budget models and run a "stock" version of Android without any annoying bloatware, they are mostly Android One as well which guarantees updates for at least three years I think.
You could also consider getting an older model which has gone down in price, like the Pixel 2 which has a excellent camera, I used to have one but updated to their 3XL.
Don't be tempted buy the cheap Huawei and Honour smartphones as they won't come with Google stuff.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Another vote for Motorola G series. I have sourced three over a period of 12-15 years for my brother-in-law. He is not technically savvy, and is somewhat “ham fisted”, but, the phones have survived. I would also echo the buy not rent, and, go new, not secondhand.

I say Moto G series too.
I go for one behind the bleeding edge so I think that's a G7 now. BUT what size will suit you, I think anything above my G6 is just too big now for a front jeans pocket - and a back pocket is death to lots of phones - bog or bounce (lack of) - my wife kills most phones this way...
Get a tempered glass screen protector and a decent cover.

Mike_P

Guru
Mines a Moto G4, as others have said a good make of phone. The work mobile is a Samsung Galaxy A40 which in comparison is a pain to use, maybe it's the way it's been set up but having to put a PIN in to shut down is simply taking the proverbial. And probably most importantly the Moto works excellently with Strava.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nokia are good in the £100ish market but Redmi seem as good and slightly higher spec.

My first Android phone was a Motorola. They stopped updates for it contrary to their announcements. I wouldn't trust them. Only buy their phone if another provider supports it, such as lineage OS.

Mike_P

Guru
Android system updates are something most manufacturers struggle wth. Nokia achieve most of their range within a year of the release, Lenovo 50%, Samsung 20% and LG 10%. Some phones cannot or eventually cannot be updated due to system demands exceeding the phones processing ability, in the same way Windows 10 will not work on older pcs.

Top Bottom