Singin' In The Lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Anyone else sing on the bike, either out loud or to themselves?

I used to do the former when drunk in Shropshire, but now tends to just be the latter, unconsciously but a way to keep me focused.

Most recently it was "If you leave me now, you'll take away the biggest part of me; awoo-OOOOOOOOO OOO-ooooooo baby please don't go", just those lines over and over. And last year trying to remember the words to this ditty got me through the Pedal For Scotland 100 miles:

Slick

Guru
Pedal for Scotland seems like just a distant memory now but it was a fantastic day and a beautiful morning for cycling and I was disappointed when it came to an end. I must admit though, I may have changed my mind a bit if I was following you for a 100 miles ooooing and ahhhhhing to your hearts content. Everyone to his own though.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Pedal for Scotland seems like just a distant memory now but it was a fantastic day and a beautiful morning for cycling and I was disappointed when it came to an end. I must admit though, I may have changed my mind a bit if I was following you for a 100 miles ooooing and ahhhhhing to your hearts content. Everyone to his own though.

Yeah that was one of the silent days. :smile:

Although I did like it when one of the local chain gangs rode past singing 'Look at me, I'm going somewhere, I'm a train, I'm a train, I'm a chucka train, yeah!'

Jody

Stubborn git
Anyone else sing on the bike, either out loud or to themselves?

Yes. Totally oblivious the other night, singing my heart out and I look to my right to see someone who caught me up smiling as they went past.

Felt a tad awkward but I was on key............. possibly :whistle:

Slick

Guru
Yeah that was one of the silent days. :smile:

Although I did like it when one of the local chain gangs rode past singing 'Look at me, I'm going somewhere, I'm a train, I'm a train, I'm a chucka train, yeah!'
Yeah I do remember one such group passing me fairly easily just as we hit a hill but they looked a bit sheepish as I had to pass them all again halfway up. :laugh:

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Yeah I do remember one such group passing me fairly easily just as we hit a hill but they looked a bit sheepish as I had to pass them all again halfway up. :laugh:

In all seriousness I did get passed by one such group who were motoring along, only I'm pretty sure it was the same group a little while later who had a rider come off on the steep winding downhill after Lanark. There's one little chicane corner that must have caught them out, looked like a fairly bad leg injury. :-/

Actively encouraged in NL 😀

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was once singing an improvised nonsense song in a very silly voice when riding down a country lane. I heard giggling from behind from me and turned to find a stealth drafter whose presence I had hitherto been unaware of! :blush:

Oh, and this was another example...
I embarrassed myself on my Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle. I was riding along with a CycleChat member who I had met for the first time that morning. We had just entered a little village and I saw that it was called Clapham. I turned to face the other rider, smiled, and burst into song ...

ColinJ: "I never thought it could happen, with me and a girl from Clapham, out on the windy common, that night I aint forgotten."

Other Rider, looking startled: "Sorry?"

CJ, cheerfully: "Squeeze!"

OR: "Huh?"

CJ, faltering: "Up the Junction?"

OR, now looking worried about riding with me: "Eh?"

CJ, going red, feeling foolish: "Never mind, you are probably too young to remember 70s chart hits!"

Venod

Eh up
I sing in my head all the time, it can get quite annoying when its a crap song that wont go away.

I was cycling the Planet Path into york one day when I caught two young gentlemen up, they didn't know I was there and they were belting out a duet, they were very good and I think practising for something, but they did look embarrassed as I passed them and told them it sounded OK.

Venod

Eh up
Cycling home from work at night, it was Mike Hardings

A mate of mine had one of the cottages at the side of Garsdale Head Station, he used to drink in a pub in Dent when Mike Harding lived there who also drank in this pub, that brewed its own beer.
One night my mate got a bad pint and he said to the landlord "this is off, where is it brewed ?" to which the landlord replied "in the back room" my said "dunt travel well does it" at which point Mike Harding collapsed on the floor laughing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom