Single chainring conversion. New thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trevrev

Veteran
Hello everyone, I've got a specialized Crosstrail elite. I want to get rid of the front Mech and go for a single front chainring. It's a 68mm BB shell but needs a 73mm BB with spacers. It currently has a FSA Modular VDrive Crankset, 44/32T. 10 speed chain! FSA do a Modular single chainring which is only 38T. I'm looking to go larger, Minimum of 44T. I'm looking at changing the crankset to Shimano, including the BB. But if i want a bigger chainring, it seems, i'll need to go for a Road Crankset. But because road canksets run on a 68mm BB I won't get the clearance at the chainstays. I have tried this option. The Spindle length isn't as long as MTB cranks. If I go with a MTB Crankset, I can't seem to get a chainring over 38T. Which is too small. I'd also need to run A narrow wide ring to decrease the risk of chain drop. I'm going around in circles here. Is anyone here running a single Chainring on an MTB crankset which is over 44T? Hope this all makes sense! I'm tired and confused. Any advice would be grateful. Trev.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You can get larger chainrings for MTB cranksets. For Example - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK...hainring-Single-Tooth-Chain-Ring/153219632231

Those fit a normal 104 mm BCD 4 bolt mountain bike chainset. 96mm BCD might be a problem

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran

bladderhead

I have Microline cranks from a company called Redline. English 68mm. 110bcd 5 bolt. For which Garbaruk do w/n oval in any size from 34 to 54. I got the cranks from American ebay.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
what about using your current chain ring with chainring spacers to get your preferred chain line ?

My current crankset is FSA and it's Modular. Which is a pain on it's own. Also, as i'm going for a 1x10, the chainring needs to be a narrow wide to prevent chain drop.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My current crankset is FSA and it's Modular. Which is a pain on it's own. Also, as i'm going for a 1x10, the chainring needs to be a narrow wide to prevent chain drop.
mate runs a single chain ring on the front , 10 speed at the back he uses the inner chainring with spacers i mentioned and i have never seen him drop a chain , although he looks like hes about to hit escape velocity with his cadence :smile:

T4tomo

Guru
Why do you need bigger than 38T on the front on a MTB? I'd have thought 38 was a decent compromise. Do you never ever use the 32 inner ring in your current set up?

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Why do you need bigger than 38T on the front on a MTB? I'd have thought 38 was a decent compromise. Do you never ever use the 32 inner ring in your current set up?

It's not a MTB. It's a crosstrail. It just has a MTB BB. Hybrid type thing. The front is 44/32t To be honest, i'd like to go bigger.
I only use it for commuting. The gearing is pretty Rubbish TBH.

specialized-crosstrail-elite-2018-hybrid-bike-blue-red-EV306283-5030-2.jpg

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
I've never used the 32. I'd be spinning like the clappers. That's why it's going.

Frottish

I have seen these. I'm a bit concerned about how long they might last. They're a bit on the cheap side.
Of course they could be brilliant.
But they are the only narrow wide rings i've seen that go to the size i need.

They say "7075-T6 Aluminum alloy" which is what a lot of good quality aftermarket chainrings are made of and should last quite a while.

Might I suggest going oval?

T4tomo

Guru
It's not a MTB. It's a crosstrail. It just has a MTB BB. Hybrid type thing. The front is 44/32t To be honest, i'd like to go bigger.
I only use it for commuting. The gearing is pretty Rubbish TBH.

View attachment 465659
Well the gearing is suited the intended use of the bike, on road off road up and down hills.

It sounds like you have a pretty flat on road commute. You're are going to seriously compromise the flexibility of your bike by sticking a single 44T on the front, as its lowest gear won't be much use off road up hills. But if you never intend to sell it or use it for anything else then fine. If it were me I'd just leave it at is and use the big ring like you are doing. All you are gaining is a very minor drop in weight from losing 1 ring and a FD. You'd lose more weight by getting rid of the superfluous front suspension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
Well the gearing is suited the intended use of the bike, on road off road up and down hills.

It sounds like you have a pretty flat on road commute. You're are going to seriously compromise the flexibility of your bike by sticking a single 44T on the front, as its lowest gear won't be much use off road up hills. But if you never intend to sell it or use it for anything else then fine. If it were me I'd just leave it at is and use the big ring like you are doing. All you are gaining is a very minor drop in weight from losing 1 ring and a FD. You'd lose more weight by getting rid of the superfluous front suspension.

I Have some lovely hills and i still don't need the granny ring. My fitness levels are high. It's not about weight, I use rack and panniers! Full mudguards and Marathon Plus tyres and they weigh loads on their own! It's about having stuff on it I don't use.
If I come to sell it, which is unlikely, i'll put it back to standard.

OP
OP
Trevrev

Trevrev

Veteran
You can get larger chainrings for MTB cranksets. For Example - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-STOCK...hainring-Single-Tooth-Chain-Ring/153219632231

Those fit a normal 104 mm BCD 4 bolt mountain bike chainset. 96mm BCD might be a problem

Well, I purchased The Chainring. 44T Narrow Wide. All fitted to my Shimano Zee MTB Crankset.
All in all, I'm very happy with my Single ring conversion. Looks nice and tidy.
Chainline is good and all is well.
Thanks for all your comments and advice.
Trev.

Top Bottom