Single component swap for most weight savings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
Body fat. Hard work but I could potentially lose the whole weight of my bike. Lost about half of it already. Not going to lose the weight of my bike swapping components. YMMV of course.

OP
OP
Geedubbayoo

Geedubbayoo

Regular
Thanks for all the helpful replies. The top answer was “lose some body weight!” but I’m 5’9” and under 140 lbs so I’m about as low as I’d like to go. And yes the BWR 6 speed hub is the heaviest gearing option but I use the full range of gears here in San Francisco on almost every ride, especially my commute to work.

I’m intrigued by the idea of lighter wheels but does that come at the expense of durability? So far this has been a thought experiment, but if I do make a purchase I do not want to sacrifice durability. There are potholes and uneven pavement where I ride and I carry a good amount of weight in my bag.

To that point one of the replies seemed to indicate that titanium seatposts aren’t as durable as the stock pillar. Is this true? I understand how a carbon fiber post could be scratched and compromised after repeated folding and unfolding but what concerns are there about titanium? Is this related to a specific brand?

I found this relevant article with a chart listing replacement parts and the associated cost/gram:
https://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/superlight-brompton/

Using this as an approximate guide I can see that a seatpost swap is not the most economical upgrade but would give me the most weight savings in one single purchase. Can anyone recommend a titanium post based on personal experience? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks,
Greg

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thanks for all the helpful replies. The top answer was “lose some body weight!” but I’m 5’9” and under 140 lbs so I’m about as low as I’d like to go. And yes the BWR 6 speed hub is the heaviest gearing option but I use the full range of gears here in San Francisco on almost every ride, especially my commute to work.

I’m intrigued by the idea of lighter wheels but does that come at the expense of durability? So far this has been a thought experiment, but if I do make a purchase I do not want to sacrifice durability. There are potholes and uneven pavement where I ride and I carry a good amount of weight in my bag.

To that point one of the replies seemed to indicate that titanium seatposts aren’t as durable as the stock pillar. Is this true? I understand how a carbon fiber post could be scratched and compromised after repeated folding and unfolding but what concerns are there about titanium? Is this related to a specific brand?

I found this relevant article with a chart listing replacement parts and the associated cost/gram:
https://www.atob.org.uk/folding-bikes/superlight-brompton/

Using this as an approximate guide I can see that a seatpost swap is not the most economical upgrade but would give me the most weight savings in one single purchase. Can anyone recommend a titanium post based on personal experience? Any brands to stay away from?

Thanks,
Greg

I recently bought a Titanium seatpost from seller " Wendy" on Ebay.
I enquired about the grade of titanium alloy used and got a quick reply ( TC4)
Seatpost arrived in a couple of weeks, seems very well made and extremely strong and light. ( I did try bending it)

It's a bit unnerving at first, I've fitted it to a CHPT3 which has a lightweight saddle and rails and it feels featherlight lifting the seatpost when unfolding.

Top Bottom