Single pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
It is only hotel touring, Hadrians Cycleway next week, 3 ½ days then a London - Paris - London in June which is much longer days in the saddle.
Just weighed my empty panniers and they are 880 g each.
I will try one next week and see how it goes. Thanks for all the comments.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Vespas had their engines mounted on the right-hand side of their bodies for 50 years. They were seriously off-balance but it didn't make any difference in all but the most extreme circumstances.

20140220-9348-800.jpg

geocycle

Legendary Member
I use one pannier for work and never notice it. The Ortlieb work pannier goes on the right and has acquired lots of bits in it over the years. The other pannier does shopping duties when two are not needed. Touring tends to be two panniers and a bar bag, or saddlebag and bar bag depending on where and for how long. The Thorn does the carrying role and is so solid I never notice luggage, might be different on the Ti bike.

Slick

Guru
Sorry but one looks so wrong, I like things to be equal

I agree, although I did commute with 1 for the longest time. I did eventually go back to two, not just for the aesthetics but I did find it easier with 2, especially when climbing.

Mike_P

Guru
Often use one, often with a rucksack. Also fit it on the right hand side which aside from making cars pass further away makes I find makes dismounting easier as I always do so with my right foot on the floor and swinging my left over the bike - have occasionally caught the left pannier doing so. I now have a pair of quick release Ortilab panniers and make sure there is nothing too fragile in the left pannier and release that to the floor before dismounting.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I must be the only person who has a problem with one panniered riding. I got a pain down one side of my neck and shoulder when doing a century with just one pannier. It's fine for short distances but I wouldn't tour like that.

Gunk

Guru
Often just use one.

D03E6032-9951-49B5-A793-401AB1673356.jpeg

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I must be the only person who has a problem with one panniered riding. I got a pain down one side of my neck and shoulder when doing a century with just one pannier. It's fine for short distances but I wouldn't tour like that.

Funny you should say that. After my comments up thread about tyre wear and the bike being not quite upright when using a single pannier with any weight in it I started thinking (always a dangerous thing!) and despite long knowing this state of affairs I've never really given it any thought.

Last night it occurred to me that when riding with the single pannier I must be sat twisted on the bike to compensate and this could well affect my back or legs as my pedaling action will be changed? I wonder.....

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The only real danger is that you then forget and park the bike, only to see it fall over...
Ha ha - that just happened to me!

I discovered it also offers valuable protection for the drive train if you fall off the bike that side. I suppose if you are the kind of person who lets their bike fall over it would also protect the rear mech/drivetrain in that situation too?
I am on my singlespeed bike so less drivetrain to protect, but it did cushion the impact for the rest of the bike.

Mburton1993

Über Member
I have pannier related question, I have one of these bags or one very similar:
PB.jpg
When the side bags are folded down there's nothing on the bag to the strap them to the sides of the rack, is it normal for them to be hanging loose or should they be strapped down with something?

ExBrit

Über Member
On the very rare occasions I tour I use two panniers, not full by any means but the engineer in me sees it as balanced. However to cut down on weight I am thinking of taking just one, I see many riders with just one and I wonder does it make enough difference to balance to notice?
I mount and dismount on the nearside and so propose having the pannier on this side too. Am I overthinking this?

I've ridden LeJog twice with a single pannier. No problems.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have pannier related question, I have one of these bags or one very similar:
View attachment 687047
When the side bags are folded down there's nothing on the bag to the strap them to the sides of the rack, is it normal for them to be hanging loose or should they be strapped down with something?

There should be something to hook around the rack struts. My Topeak has them.

Top Bottom