Singlespeed chain? Why bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The chain on my singlespeed looks like it is about to fall apart so I'm going to replace it before it snaps mid-grunt at some traffic lights and causes me a genital discourtesy.

The chainset on my bike is a standard gearing Shimano Stronglight and the rear cog is taken from a standard 10 speed cassette (I converted to SS by adding LOADS of free hub spacers), so should I buy a normal 10 speed chain rather than spending the extra on a singlespeed chain?

mangid

Guru
I would stick with a narrow chain for narrow cog and chain ring.

An SS, 1/8, chain isn't necessarily more expensive though, £6 for an SRAM 1/8, but having broke those in the past, and them wearing out in a couple of months I must admit to treating myself to Izumi Super Tough these days. Get maybe 6K from one, just mickle it with a couple of baby wipes after a dirty ride, so far no breaks, and even wear. I did try DID for a while, but the bolt wore quicker than the pins, so always ended up with an annoying ticking noise after 3K, before the chain had worn out ....

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I would stick with a narrow chain for narrow cog and chain ring.

An SS, 1/8, chain isn't necessarily more expensive though, £6 for an SRAM 1/8, but having broke those in the past, and them wearing out in a couple of months I must admit to treating myself to Izumi Super Tough these days. Get maybe 6K from one, just mickle it with a couple of baby wipes after a dirty ride, so far no breaks, and even wear. I did try DID for a while, but the bolt wore quicker than the pins, so always ended up with an annoying ticking noise after 3K, before the chain had worn out ....

£55 for a chain! Wow! Mind you, it would probably be worth it. I've just worked out I've done 4000 miles on this chain, and it would have been a cheapie to start with!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I just gave my bike a good clean and noticed the rear cog was really badly shark toothed, so I replaced it (how I love the simplicity of maintaining singlespeed bikes). Definitely time for a new chain!

image.jpg

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you're after economy, my SS has been running perfectly on a £3.99 7 speed chain from Asda.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Fifty-five notes for a SS/Fixed chain!!!!!!! :eek:

I'm willing to pay that for an EAI cog, but the cog should last for years, whereas the chain most certainly won't.

D

Deleted member 1258

I normally buy the 1/8 chain for my fixed from the LBS near work, cost about a tenner and gives me about a years use, about 3000 miles, until they closed down I used to buy the six pound chains from the bike stall in Coventry Market, used to give me the same life as the ten pound chains.

Top Bottom