Singlespeed chain? Why bother?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I get three Asda singlespeed chains for £ 4 each. One on its own is not long enough so I have to split one to make two chains so works out at £ 6.00 each
Just seen the £ 55.00 ones linked above :ohmy:

screenman

Legendary Member
chgu-slink-colours.jpg

These look good.

Sharpy

These are pretty smart for a single speed commuter. Haven't heard much about them just yet but they do look good :biggrin:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 52

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Bolt, nut, and loctite, you know where you are then

Do you mean something like this DID chain, which has a screw in connector pin? I've never actually seen one of those in the flesh

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
EAI cogs don't last for years, I get thru 1 a year ....
I've always thought that the wear on the sprocket and chainring is very low if the chain is kept in good shape and replaced regularly. Hence, my approach has always been to regard the chain as relatively expendable, not spend too much on the chain, and replace the chain regularly.

Just out of interest, do you run one chain and sprocket for ages until both are knackered, or do you get through several chains in the year that you say an EAI sprocket lasts? How many miles do you get out of one EAI sprocket? You sound like you must be a mega-miler if you get through one a year!

I was thinking of buying an EAI Superstar, the main motivation being that they claim to be highly concentric. If you've got any experience of this then I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

mangid

Guru
I've always thought that the wear on the sprocket and chainring is very low if the chain is kept in good shape and replaced regularly. Hence, my approach has always been to regard the chain as relatively expendable, not spend too much on the chain, and replace the chain regularly.

Just out of interest, do you run one chain and sprocket for ages until both are knackered, or do you get through several chains in the year that you say an EAI sprocket lasts? How many miles do you get out of one EAI sprocket? You sound like you must be a mega-miler if you get through one a year!

I was thinking of buying an EAI Superstar, the main motivation being that they claim to be highly concentric. If you've got any experience of this then I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Yep, I'm using Superstar, looks beautiful, and runs really nicely.

Keep the chain in pretty good condition, it'll be wiped and relubed most days at this time of the year.

I go thru 2 chains to one sprocket, 6K per chain, 12K per sprocket. If I try and run the sprocket on the third new chain it will make a terrible racket ;-)

Using Sugino Zen on the front with Sugino 75 cranks, chain ring lasts maybe 2 years, or 24K . Still have a slight tight spot, so not all perfectly concentric.

mangid

Guru
Do you mean something like this DID chain, which has a screw in connector pin? I've never actually seen one of those in the flesh

Yep, that's the one, even used to get them from HubJub, but the inconsistent wear wore me down, would get a ticking noise from that link under load after 2.5-3K, even though the rest of the chain had plenty of life left in it. Not had the same issue with the Izumi.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf

Keep the chain in pretty good condition, it'll be wiped and relubed most days at this time of the year.

I go thru 2 chains to one sprocket, 6K per chain, 12K per sprocket. If I try and run the sprocket on the third new chain it will make a terrible racket ;-)

Using Sugino Zen on the front with Sugino 75 cranks, chain ring lasts maybe 2 years, or 24K . Still have a slight tight spot, so not all perfectly concentric.
Yep, that's the one, even used to get them from HubJub, but the inconsistent wear wore me down, would get a ticking noise from that link under load after 2.5-3K, even though the rest of the chain had plenty of life left in it. Not had the same issue with the Izumi.

Useful info. Thanks for posting that. :thumbsup:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

6k is that miles or kilometers ? Lucky if I get 2000 miles out of a KMC chain on my fixed, in fact about to change out the sprocket and chain after about that sort of miles.

Top Bottom