Site Running Slow

Shaun

Founder
You've probably noticed, but there is an on-going issue with the CC server at the moment where it is randomly using up all of its available memory and grinding to a halt.

I'm making small adjustments to the server/database settings each time it happens to try and find the best compromise between stability and speed.

Apologies for the treacle-like access and sporadic down-time, but please bear with me and I should be able to resolve it.

Thanks,
Shaun :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Years ago we use to describe the speed our work computer ran at, in terms of dead dog with x number of legs - (can't quite remember the expression), is that still used in computing terms?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Years ago we use to describe the speed our work computer ran at, in terms of dead dog with x number of legs - (can't quite remember the expression), is that still used in computing terms?

Sounds about right for the way the CC server is running this morning ... lol :smile:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
The hosting company are going to install some analysis tools on the server this evening for me. Hopefully this will help to discover the source of the slowness.

Mozzy

Ahhh that explains why it has been hanging. It was soooo slow last night for a period and about twenty minutes ago. I gave up. Fine now though:thumbsup: Thanks for all you do Shaun.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Sorry, I haven't been on CC for a few days because I've been attending to some personal/family matters and hadn't realised this was going on.

I've had a look at the server logs and it seems we're being overrun by a very aggressive spider-bot from a Chinese search engine called Baidu that has been flooding the CC server with requests and using up all available resources.

I need to install some new software on the server to combat this (by blocking their access completely) and will try to get it on and working tonight if I can.

Apologies for the problems.

Cheers,

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
As a temporary measure I've reconfigured Apache to limit the number of simultaneous requests it serves - which will mean there will still be pauses and queuing of requests, but because it will be doing less at once it should make it work more efficiently until I can stop the mass of requests from China.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Good ... I need to go an iron Little Ms. Admin's school uniform (if I don't Mrs. Admin will make the Baidu spider-bot look like Mr. Nice Guy!!!) but I will have a look at a proper fix after I've got the kit done ... :thumbsup:

Cheers,

D

Deleted member 1258

As a temporary measure I've reconfigured Apache to limit the number of simultaneous requests it serves - which will mean there will still be pauses and queuing of requests, but because it will be doing less at once it should make it work more efficiently until I can stop the mass of requests from China.

Cheers Shaun

Top Bottom