Site Running Slow

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Or should I say, I am very impressed with your success with this board this evening. :giggle:
Seams it was nothing to get steamed up about! A hem!

:laugh:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
we're being overrun by a very aggressive spider-bot from a Chinese search engine called Baidu that has been flooding the CC server with requests and using up all available resources.

:biggrin:

OK ... in simple terms ... someone what to tell me what a spider-bot was doing ... I've a vague impression of Aragog fiddling with the insides of a computer... (I don't think it helps that he has a name):blush:^_^

Is Baidu (your friendly Chinese spider), trying to use your computer resources to do something else with it? What does he gain?

Good ... I need to go an iron Little Ms. Admin's school uniform
Has she not broken up from school yet?

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
OK ... in simple terms ... someone what to tell me what a spider-bot was doing ... I've a vague impression of Aragog fiddling with the insides of a computer... (I don't think it helps that he has a name):blush:^_^

Spiders are little software robots that Google and other search engines use. They come along to your web site and download the page content to add to their search results.

Some are very good and will respect your site and not harvest too much information all at once. Some are less considerate and will send lots and lots of these little bots to grab your site data all at once - so much so that the server can't cope with volume and grinds to a halt.

Is Baidu (your friendly Chinese spider), trying to use your computer resources to do something else with it? What does he gain?

I presume it uses the data in the same way as Google, but I have yet to see any traffic generated from it and after reading other web site owner resources it seems many people are more than happy to block it completely to save on bandwidth/resources.

Has she not broken up from school yet?

Nope - not until Wednesday!! :smile:

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Just an update - I've spoken to the excellent technical bods who host the CC server and they're going to help me to block a few of the more aggressive spiders, which will hopefully reduce the load on the server and get us back up to speed.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
nice one...

postman

Legendary Member
Well done Admin.Now seeing how you like ironing.One of the retired tasks i hate.Iv'e just popped a load into a Registered envelope and it's on its way to you.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
Sorted. :thumbsup:

For the techies: The Shorewall firewall has been installed on the server and the Baidu IP ranges have been blacklisted for the TCP protocol (on port 80).

For the non-technical CC'ers: The do-dahs have now been added to the thing-a-me-jig and the baddies can't hog the server so much now! :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Top Bottom