Sites going a bit slow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow scot

Guru
Location
Aberdeen
For those experiencing a slowdown. If you log out, is it still just as slow?

If I turn off the site and log back in it’s just the same. It’s allowing me to reply to your post (hopefully), but if I attempted to edit my post, or start trying to look at other threads then the problems start all over again.
I‘M using an iPad about five years old, which is working perfectly everywhere else.
 

slow scot

Guru
Location
Aberdeen
I tried to edit my above post as it has a small error in it. It didn’t work, and the site just froze, though I managed to post this after trying for some minutes,
 
Location
Widnes
What was your reasoning behind it being DNS as the cause?

As I was working deep at a very techy level in IT for 20 years and have spent my whole working life on it

then I based the comments on

just a guess
but as people have commented on problems on all sorts of browsers and hardware then I was wondering what else might be common to teh people who have problems

and normally I change my DNS and had had no problems so if other had not then maybe that was relevant

although last night I checked and I had put mine back to normal

but I have changed it back and that makes zero difference - i.e. all OK


so probably not relevant but I though it might be worth asking
 

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Location
Inside my skull
just a guess

Seems unlikely to be a DNS error. Especially as DNS lookups are cached, so even if slow it would just be the first time, then okay a fair while. Plus it would affect other sites equally. If it returns wrong IP address (again unlikely) then the site would not load full stop.

I have not seen anyone reporting other sites being slow. Thus does sound like something site and user specific, such as fragmented database records just for a few users or something. It is why I wondered if it was still slow, if users logged out / used a logged out private browser tab etc.
 

nogoodnamesleft

Senior Member
Maybe check what Cloudflare server (and where) the site you are accessing it coming from.

eg if I access the site through a client (my)IP address without geolocation I get sent to a Cloudflare server in California. But if I browse the site using a UK geolocated IP address same datacentre but different Cloudflare CDN server. If I ping the different servers I get one 14 ms and the other 9 ms. Try pinging same servers 10 mins later and the previously 14ms response is now 550 ms; retry the previously 9 ms response server 10 mins later and getting 450 ms response times. 5 mins later and at 12 ms and 15 ms. So massive variability.

Clear my DNS cache and repeat and now getting routed to a Cloudflare London (UK) located CDN server and getting <8ms ping response times but few mins late half the speed (15 ms).

So to me it seems quite possible that the differing issues different users are getting may easily not relate to Android/Windows/iPad/etc. not Safari/Firefox/etc. but the source their device is being sent to get get the website data. My brief tests used 3 different Cloudflare servers some a long geographical distance away (likely slower) and variable performance.

Which Cloudflare CDN server are those experiencing problems actually browsing? (and those who are not expereinceing problems)
 

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Location
Inside my skull
It’s allowing me to reply to your post (hopefully), but if I attempted to edit my post, or start trying to look at other threads then the problems start all over again.

This is getting into a bit more detail on when it slows down. Editing of your posts or switch threads being much slower thsn just replying in same thread.

Edit - testing how quick to edit my own posts and as fast as ever
 

ivegotabike

Well-Known Member
Pass.
And yet, a fair few of us are experiencing no slow down. What is your explanation for that?

Pass.

Do you see the alerts populate immediately every time you click on the bell?

That is the only place I notice any delay.

Maybe an administrator could comment on the number of guests - is that number and ratio of guests : users typical in the history of the site?
 
Top Bottom