Size & best moment to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuliaT

Hello everyone,

I need to ask you 2 things.

Since I started cycling I've been feeling a bit weird. I am quite a short person, so my bike frame is small. The thing is that I cannot take any bigger size because with mine I am already touching the floor just with the toes of 1 foot. But when I am riding fast or on a hill I feel the frame is, lets say, short? the thing is I find myself much more comfortable if I literally take my bottom out of the seat, so what is on the seat are my upper thighs....yes I know it sounds weird.... So, I think I need a "larger" bike, but do they exist? how can I find the right size for me as I am obviously weirdly proportionated....?

And another thing...as I am a girl on a budget...is there any season during which its easier to find good deals for bikes? just wondering...

Thanks!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Move the saddle back ?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've found that the best time to buy is in December or later. The retailers want to clear out their stock to make way for the new year's models. The later you leave it, the bigger the discounts but you run the risk of the model that you are after selling out completely. You can usually get 30% of the RRP.

AndyRM

XOXO
You can usually get good deals when shops are clearing out the previous years' stock. The second hand market can be lucrative year round when people are getting rid of bikes that "they can't get on with", among other excuses.

How tall are you and what bike are you currently riding?

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

I've found that the best time to buy is in December or later. The retailers want to clear out their stock to make way for the new year's models. The later you leave it, the bigger the discounts but you run the risk of the model that you are after selling out completely. You can usually get 30% of the RRP.
Perfect! thanks for that!

OP
OP
JuliaT

JuliaT

You can usually get good deals when shops are clearing out the previous years' stock. The second hand market can be lucrative year round when people are getting rid of bikes that "they can't get on with", among other excuses.

How tall are you and what bike are you currently riding?

I am 1.64m and my bike is Ladies Raleigh Pioneer 180 front suspension hybrid bike I think the wheals are 16 inches but I really don't remember the size of the frame

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of bike are you looking for. Go try some out, If in the UK, Evans are good for no obligation test rides

AndyRM

XOXO
I am 1.64m and my bike is Ladies Raleigh Pioneer 180 front suspension hybrid bike I think the wheals are 16 inches but I really don't remember the size of the frame

Looking at it, that bike will give you a very upright riding position, so wanting to stand out of the saddle is natural when going fast or up hill.

You should be able to get a small frame road or hybrid bike without too much bother. As @vickster says, Evans is a good place to start.

vickster

Legendary Member
I mainly use it for commuting and some rides in summer, so a hybrid or a tourer. I live in London so I'll check in evans! thanks!
Yep loads of Evans. The Wimbledon one is good in my experience if out west. Cycle surgery and Cycle Republic (part of Halfords) also offer testrides. Those 3 should pretty much cover all brands plus a Giant store (big one near Barbican but others too)

Top Bottom