Sizing margins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
As it seems bike stocks are low with little chance of a test ride I'm curious if you are between sizes. My height overlaps 2 categories on most frame sizes so is it better to go for the larger or smaller size?

vickster

Legendary Member
As it seems bike stocks are low with little chance of a test ride I'm curious if you are between sizes. My height overlaps 2 categories on most frame sizes so is it better to go for the larger or smaller size?
Smaller for roadbikes at least, you can increase size with stems etc, you can’t make a too big frame smaller

vickster

Legendary Member
Even if you can’t test ride, you should at least try to sit on the two frame sizes, I can usually tell quickly if a frameset is going to be too big or small

D

Deleted member 1258

I tend to look at top tube length, I look at getting as close to the length of the top tube on a bike I already own that fits me.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yes I overlap too, bottom end of the biggest size, top end of the next size down.
I'm six foot and on the charts of two of my makes (Giant and Genesis), the largest size in both makes is supposed to suit a rider who is my size and up. I've always erred down a size as I feel stretched on very long frames, so I'm M/L in giant (rather than L), and I'm an L on a Genesis rather than the XL.
The adage is true that you can always make a smaller frame suit a rider who's a bit bigger, but you can't make a big bike any smaller.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
+I ignore size guides entirely. I know from expensive experience that I should not be riding a bike with a 60cm+ TT based on my height

Sharky

Guru
Smaller, but check seat post. If a standard round one, longer ones readily available, but if a fancy carbon tear drop shape may not.

vickster

Legendary Member
Smaller definitely for me as I’m long of leg and shorter of torso

Top Bottom