Skarper conversion kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rather than type whole load on how it works or the concept, there is a review here
https://www.bikeradar.com/news/skarper-ebike-conversion-kit/

I saw and briefly tested it yesterday, it was very impressive and unique in that it's instantly almost completely removable, so you can truly flick between bike and ebike. And no cabling etc. Its a very innovative design.

Remains to be seen how battery life stacks up in real world.

The assist was a decent amount of ummph even on lowest setting.

Innovative design but limiting in that it will only work with bikes with an OLD of 135mm that have disc brakes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Clever and innovative idea. Don’t really see the advantage of having it removable as I’d have thought once converted most would simply leave it on, removing it only to charge perhaps.
At a grand it’s around twice the price of a conventional electric conversion but would be substantially lighter. The acid test will be if cyclists are be prepared to pay a premium for what the unit offers.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Innovative design but limiting in that it will only work with bikes with an OLD of 135mm that have disc brakes.

Which is the majority of new bikes, but clearly not a majority of old bikes.

I think the sell is by one decent bike with good components plus the kit and then have the ability to ebike it for your commute say, or shopping run, but have it as a regular bike for leisure.
Rather than buy a heavy ebike with cheapo components, which will still cost you a couple of grand anyway.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
But will ebike buyers see that advantage? Maybe.

Who knows, ebikers what do you think, would this have been an option for you had it been around when you bought yours?
Or did you have no interest in a dual fuel option?

I guess it also has the advantage that you can swap it about between bikes, for road & offroad use for example.

Last edited:
I would get this. An easy conversion to carbon bikes, without ruining the look and useful for rubbish winter commutes

The big factor is range, as I would want at least 40 miles

Top Bottom