Skelton Grange Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

T4tomo

Guru
I assume its one of those places where the tow path crosses sides. What's the alternative proposed? apologies if I've missed it, but could see any details of how to solve it. agree it looks a right pain due to height and narrowness of steps, but just better steps with a "wheel up ramp" isn't going to work for access for all. and saying to Leeds council "make it better" probably wont get very far. "Make it better by XYZ" might have more legs...

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
What's the alternative proposed?
The path crosses back over at the next bridge going towards Leeds, the best solution would be to construct the path straight on through the grounds of Thwaite Mills (museum) to meet the path on the same side, there is room, it must be an planning/permission issue.

DRM

Guru
There's an almost identical set up near Kendal. Great to ride down on MTB.
It’s far steeper and narrower than that photo would suggest, it’s a horrible obstruction, and if it gets demolished and replaced i for one would dearly love to shove the plunger down on the detonator and blow it to kingdom come

DRM

Guru
I assume its one of those places where the tow path crosses sides. What's the alternative proposed? apologies if I've missed it, but could see any details of how to solve it. agree it looks a right pain due to height and narrowness of steps, but just better steps with a "wheel up ramp" isn't going to work for access for all. and saying to Leeds council "make it better" probably wont get very far. "Make it better by XYZ" might have more legs...
Yes it is, you can go up the other side of the canal, but it’s like a steep muddy Belgian CX obstacle, not an official way up to the road

pjd57

Veteran
They're spending £14 million pounds on a monstrous bridge on the Forth and Clyde canal in Maryhill / Stockingfield junction . At present it's down a steep hill, through a tight road tunnel then back up the other side.
Improvement is overdue but the solution is OTT.
Picture to follow

As well as the building costs another £4milion will be spent on landscaping / repairing the damage caused during construction.

Meanwhile the towpath is needing resurfaced

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
The path crosses back over at the next bridge going towards Leeds, the best solution would be to construct the path straight on through the grounds of Thwaite Mills (museum) to meet the path on the same side, there is room, it must be an planning/permission issue.

There are a couple of difficulties. Is Thwaite Mills listed? There is little room for a path on that side anyway. The other big one, incredibly the bridge is privately owned. I will have to check, beer o' clock was some time back, but I vaguely remember a new waste incinerator is to be built and that bridge, with the stairs, is going to be carrying the trucks taking the waste to the incinerator. Have a link to the press release, which should tell a lot more than I can.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AeNSWlM1AQT39PzUj2iNd8vDNhlL8sBY/view

roley poley

Über Member
A grooved rail at the side of the steps would certainly help wheeling a bike, a nice path even better for wheelchairs/prams etc .Have signed the petition. My route is West of Leeds along the towpath to Skipton ,pub lunch on the way ,fold the brommie up and bus it back must try an Easterly version of this when times improve.

Top Bottom