Ski Gloves for cyling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is there any reason i could not use a pair of skiing/mountain gloves for cycling? They seem to have the necessary dexterity for braking and gear chgaes. Is there something I am missing?
These seem pretty good:
No reason at all, have done for years. Can get waterlogged in heavy rain but what’s imporrtant is they still keep your hands dry.

screenman

Legendary Member
I tend to buy cycling gloves for cycling, my Impsport one's have lasted me well, 4pairs for different conditions.

Lovacott

Über Member
No reason at all, have done for years. Can get waterlogged in heavy rain but what’s imporrtant is they still keep your hands dry.
My fingers go numb pretty quickly with cold hands. Also, I get some numbness from riding an MTB with my palms bearing my forward weight on the handlebar grips.

The padded Ski gloves act as shock absorbers as well as keeping my fingertips warm.

My pair are pretty waterproof as they were only slightly damp after an hour in torrential rain last week.

I think it's a mistake to brand gloves as being sports specific (with the exception of boxing gloves maybe?).

If "ski gloves" are being used when you are not skiing, surely they become just "gloves"?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a pair of Aldidl ’centre-aisle’ motorcycle winter gloves that work really well for MTB in deep winter. They are warm, largely waterproof and have a little armour, but are dexterous enough to use the controls. Yes, my hands sweat a bit which then means the inner pulls out when I remove them, but I’ll take that for hands that remain useable in sub-zero conditions (worst so far has been about 2 hours at -5°C) for only twenty quid or something like that.

I guess my point is, whatever works, works. Just because it says “ski” or “motorcycle” or “skydiving” or whatever doesn’t mean they can’t be used in other activities.

not to hijack, but for several years my go-to combination was 1 pair of over-sized men's gloves I bought at a department store. not waterproof & they had leather palms & backs but tight fabric sides, combined with 1 pair of separate wind resistant gloves. this combination worked in the worst of the weather (except rain) even raking my roof in snow storms. basically wore them out beyond continuous repair

glove combo.jpg

I've since moved on to cycling specific gloves of various sorts & am much happier

gloves.jpg

then I discovered barmitts, which open up so many more glove/no glove options

barmitts.jpg

gloves and mitts 2.jpg

& when disaster strikes, I combine the best with the best & I am invincible

barmitts and gloves.jpg

gloves - mitts 2 ACTP0849.JPG

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
I also use Brreze Blockers on my year round bike, so Ic an get away with lighter weight gloves than I otherwise would have done, and in mega freezing weather they provide additional wind protection on top of my winter gloves.

Breeze Blockers
oh those are interesting. often wondered about making something similar to bolt to pedals
edit: just found some! Lone Peak Toe Clip Covers

hoping I can rig them w/ 1/2 clips (no straps) but I might have to resort to full cages

shoes mini clips ACTP0839.JPG

small ACTP0300 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Lovacott

Über Member
I also use Brreze Blockers on my year round bike, so I can get away with lighter weight gloves.
Back in 1991, I was cycle commuting from Hemel Hempstead to Bushey and there was a particularly cold morning.

I wore thick gloves, double socks and a beanie hat under my helmet.

About three miles in, my nether regions started to signal really bad pains. My knackers were literally freezing off.

I ended up taking off the beanie and shoving it down my leggings.

My brain froze to death but at least my nads got to work intact.

rivers

How far can I go?
not to hijack, but for several years my go-to combination was 1 pair of over-sized men's gloves I bought at a department store. not waterproof & they had leather palms & backs but tight fabric sides, combined with 1 pair of separate wind resistant gloves. this combination worked in the worst of the weather (except rain) even raking my roof in snow storms. basically wore them out beyond continuous repair

View attachment 565989

I've since moved on to cycling specific gloves of various sorts & am much happier

View attachment 565991

then I discovered barmitts, which open up so many more glove/no glove options

View attachment 565992

View attachment 565995

& when disaster strikes, I combine the best with the best & I am invincible

View attachment 565993

View attachment 566120

Bar mitts are great in the winter. English winters are a bit wetter than a New England winter, but my hands stay toasty and dry

Top Bottom