Ski Yoghurt ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
For those wanting great yogs, find Longley Farm pots if you can. Very tasty.

PK99

Legendary Member
The only yoghurt I buy is this 'natural' one for a Jack Monroe recipe, but whenever I peel the lid off and lick it clean I feel like scoffing the lot straight from the pot. I could easily acquire a bit of a yoghurt habit, but resist it because it's expensive and high fat. I don't much like the sickly stuff that's full of sugar.

Nothing wrong with high fat, it is much more sustaining than low fat.
All things in moderation.

presta

Guru
Nothing wrong with high fat, it is much more sustaining than low fat.
All things in moderation.

I'm already eating it in moderation, what I'm talking about is resisiting the temptation to eat it in excess, excessive fat is not good for you. My diet is healthy and low in fat because I don't indiscriminately eat an excess of high fat food.

As Ben Goldacre says, there's no such thing as an unhealthy meal, only an unhealthy diet, therefore eating healthily entails some degree of keeping an eye on the big picture beyond what's currently in your mouth. People get fat and unhealthy because they fall into the trap of telling themselves "It's only one yoghurt" or "Just this one bar of chocolate", without keeping any track of how many times they're telling themselves "It's only one...".

"Everything in moderation" they say, without the faintest idea whether the quantity they're eating is moderate or not.

I started paying some attention to how much fat I eat when I noticed a xanthelasma developing by my eye, and realised that I'd fallen into a habit of eating a lot of high fat foodstuffs like cheese, corned beef, and pate etc. When I cut my fat intake the xanthelasma disappeared in due course, unlike the ones my mother had, which just grew and grew as she sat on the sofa all day scoffing tubs of ice cream.

48% fat. That's high, recommended maximum fat intake is no more than 35% of calories.

Decimal place error surely, most are 4%, double cream is 'only' 55% fat.

presta

Guru
Decimal place error surely, most are 4%, double cream is 'only' 55% fat.

The published figure on the nutrition panel is by weight, and the dietary recommendation for fat intake is metered by calories.

Total fat: 3.8% by weight
Total cals: 72kcal/100g
Fat calorific value is 9kcal/gram:
3.8*9 = 34.2 kcal/100g
Fat percentage by calories: 34.2/72 = 47.5%, compared to 35% recommended
Saturated fat is 31%, compared to 11% recommended

Double cream: 50.5% fat by weight, 97.3% fat by calories.

Last edited:
The published figure on the nutrition panel is by weight, and the dietary recommendation for fat intake is metered by calories.

Total fat: 3.8% by weight
Total cals: 72kcal/100g
Fat calorific value is 9kcal/gram:
3.8*9 = 34.2 kcal/100g
Fat percentage by calories: 34.2/72 = 47.5%, compared to 35% recommended
Saturated fat is 31%, compared to 11% recommended

Double cream: 50.5% fat by weight, 97.3% fat by calories.

That's still not 48% fat as most people would understand it.

Top Bottom