Skin cancer surgery on top of foot tomorrow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Retread

Regular
Wear sun protection, I had spots removed on my face and a friend has chunks out of his arms and the top of his ears removed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Or more importantly, tell all your younger friends and relatives to wear sun screen. The damage is done when we are young and stupid
So true, @Julia9054, I’m living proof of that. Now I ride with long-sleeve-moisture-wicking shirts, but as you say… the damage is done! My sister-in-law just had the same surgery on her lip. Gee, that must have been fun… with a gauze mustache for about a week, but now that she’s healed, you can’t even tell, amazing.

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
If you enjoy any activity that has a reflective surface on a sunny day, like skiing or sailing, be extra careful. You can get burned really quickly.
So true, @Slowmotion, used to have a nice little 16.5’ Catalina sailboat before I moved to a small apt just outside of Washington DC, probably better that I'm not sailing or kayaking anymore, but I miss them both, surfing too.

8F9EBFC0-BD27-4B39-95D9-B84D586E7FE0.jpeg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Sailing's an interesting one. I sail off the south coast of England which is hardly tropical but you can get burned very quickly. The sun comes off the sea, and it also comes reflected off the mainsail which you tend to look up at every few seconds to check how it's trimmed. Added to that, you don't feel particularly hot because there is breeze. In a couple of hours, you can resemble a lobster, even if you are not particularly fair skinned.

OP
OP
kayakerles

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Had my first ever visit with my surgeon's nurse over the Internet this week. I sent a weeks worth of recovery pictures to the surgeons website, and then met with her nurse online. My surgeon said it looks my foot is healing well, I can resume taking normal walks, and bike riding. Just to be careful that it doesn’t get really swollen afterwards. So this evening right before sundown I went for just a short 10 minute spin to see if the healing wound bothered me. Not a bit, feels great, in many ways, both in the foot department and also just glad to be riding again. It looked fine when I got back upstairs. Now to return to normal life. 👍

@slowmotion, thanks for the heads up on the sun protection. I totally know what you mean about getting toasted by reflected light. All the way back to my youth I have always been a total beach bum. Surfing, kayaking, body surfing in the ocean, open sailing, there’s no escaping the sun! Then downhill skiing in the winter. Double sun due to the reflection off the snow. So now I am behaving and trying to block the sun as much as I can now that I am 65 years old. But I know it is the sun in the days of my youth that is showing it’s wrath now. Can't wait to get back to normal riding! :bicycle:………

Top Bottom