Skinny but flabby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Really!?

Worked for me, although I wasn't skinny.

I went from 112 kg to 87 in 7 months:healthy diet and a LOT of skipping.
OP has already lost weight (inc lean muscle) so adding skipping (cardio) isn't productive to putting on lean muscle mass (resistance training)

Last edited:

Rock bus

Über Member
I can relate 100%to this. I’m at stage where I actually need to stop losing weight anywhere apart from my stomach. Skinny but with a bit of fat around middle which I can’t seem to shift.
Planning on joining gym and seeing if weights can help. Appreciate any advice on which exercises and how I know if need to actually eat more to build muscle. Also is twice a week enough and how Long until should see some improvement.

Ps sorry, not trying to hijack thread but hoping answers to those Qs may help you as well!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I’m at stage where I actually need to stop losing weight anywhere apart from my stomach. Skinny but with a bit of fat around middle which I can’t seem to shift.
I have the same problem - my face starts to look gaunt before the roll of fat round my waist completely goes. I can't see an answer to that - be slim, but look ill OR look healthy but have a slightly flabby waist ... :whistle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have the same problem - my face starts to look gaunt before the roll of fat round my waist completely goes. I can't see an answer to that - be slim, but look ill OR look healthy but have a slightly flabby waist ... :whistle:

I know this problem and at 64 it seems to worsen with age. I’ve dropped from 188 lbs two years ago to 162. I still have a bit of flab around my waist, though I can get in to 31/32” waist trousers.

If I go below 162/163, which frankly is VERY tough, I get what I call “old man skin.” Skin starts to hang and wrinkle on my upper arms and lower neck. I think it’s very unsightly. For me weight loss is both a health and vanity issue and I’ve reached the conclusion it’s a compromise. Excess weight on the waist is, I understand, the worst but I’d suggest in middle age, which 60+ is, a small amount of waist flab is inevitable unless one has a naturally very skinny build.

Last weekend a stranger at a party asked how old I was. When I replied 64 his response was “you look fantastic” which I have to confess delighted me.

Most women of a similar age will tell you they accept a certain amount of weight gain as inevitable if they want to look good and avoid slack skin in the face, neck and upper arm.

If one is fit and healthy it’s best to accept the days of washboard stomachs are gone for most of us.

Tin Pot

Guru
I am 5ft 8 and approx 74kg - I haven't lost much weight this year - but made good progress on shifting the belly - but as a thin boned geezer - i still look a bit flabby -at 55 can anything be done re this. I cycle 100 miles per week approx - gym (weights) 3 times per week ...

I want to look like one of those blokes from love island.

:smile:

I’m 5’8” around 82kg, doctor reckons people our height should be 63kg...I was 73kg briefly when I was on Atkins diet and thought I looked like a child...big head, no body. Now I’ve found some salvation in disregarding weight in favour of body fat percentage. I’m around 20% and 42.

At 55 an athletic build I would look for upto 17% body fat:
http://www.triathlete.com/2014/12/nutrition/the-dos-and-donts-of-getting-leaner_81493

This guy is quite respected in the training community:
https://www.amazon.com/Fast-After-50-Race-Strong/product-reviews/1937715264

Ultimately for the “Senior” Love Island look I wouldn’t do it but testosterone supplements are going to be on that “journey”.

Tin Pot

Guru
Thats called skinny fat. The cure is put on some lean muscle mass, therefore gym must take preference over cardio.

The problem being that gaining lean muscle mass is very hard, even more so when your testosterone levels are falling.

https://www.enduranceplanet.com/spo...adaptations-plus-how-to-add-lean-muscle-mass/

migrantwing

Veteran
Boxing training...or the cheap option: get a cheap punch bag from eBay/Amazon etc and hook it up in the spare room/garage/outside. Watch some basic boxing training videos on Youtube and then start off with one round = 3 minutes. Move up to 2 rounds = 6 mins etc. If you can get to 21-30 minutes and then start to get tired, you're doing good.

You will lose a little weight but tone up significantly. As has been mentioned, skipping is also good. Swimming, too. Along with cycling and boxing training, you should tone up quite significantly. Also eat lots of pulses, rice, beans, vegetable etc. Chicken, or better still turkey, for your protein hit.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The problem being that gaining lean muscle mass is very hard, even more so when your testosterone levels are falling.

https://www.enduranceplanet.com/spo...adaptations-plus-how-to-add-lean-muscle-mass/
Oh?

download.jpeg

80-year-old-bodybuilder-copy.jpg

P 70-YEAR-OLD BODYBUILDER 7A_00.01.01.00_1508850737573_4401109_ver1.0_640_360.png

Top Bottom