Skinny but flabby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru

Nothing you’ve posted countered my post - was it meant to?

To be clear, I’m encouraging not discouraging weight training.

Lonestar

Veteran
[QUOTE 5301945, member: 9609"]this is very much where I am. Once all the fat is gone people ask if I'm ill :rolleyes:
not that I'm particularly bothered by that, but that is what happens, its not a good look. I have always been around the 14 stone mark and have always come over to others as quite a big strong bloke - now with all my cycling and landscape gardening I am just under 12 stone, have never been as fit and as strong in my entire life and yet I doubt I have ever looked as puny. (the 14 stone me wouldn't have stood a chance a against the 12 stone me)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I get that a lot...people asking me if I am ill as I've lost over two stone (and look leaner) with my continuing turbo trainer routine....I bought the trubo trainer over a year ago and reckon I've done the equivalent of 6000 miles on it.Not only that but a change of diet also.

None of that on it's own is a fix (feel free to ask me how I know that) and is almost an attempt at targetting fat loss which physiologically cannot work. Big compound lifts like the main 5 - Squat - Bench - OHP - Barbell row - Deadlift and calorie intake on point are key.
Unfortunately not.

Please tell us. I am genuinely interested.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Please tell us. I am genuinely interested.
Rapid weight loss of 8st - lost a lot of muscle also. After years of fighting to be something I am not (a lean cyclist) I've quit cycling in order to concentrate on re-building the lean muscle lost by visiting a gymnasium and lifting heavy things then putting them down.

I look better in the mirror(and feel better) now at 16st and 6-8months post quitting cycling than I ever did at 13.5st at my leanest. Obviously by lifting and eating more over time weight will increase, but that's a necessity to gain muscle, fat can be lost later on down the line while maintaining gym gains.

Last edited:
Rapid weight loss of 8st - lost a lot of muscle also. After years of fighting to be something I am not (a lean cyclist) I've quit cycling in order to concentrate on re-building the lean muscle lost by visiting a gymnasium and lifting heavy things then putting them down.

I look better in the mirror(and feel better) now at 16st and 6-8months post quitting cycling than I ever did at 13.5st at my leanest. Obviously by lifting and eating more over time weight will increase, but that's a necessity to gain muscle, fat can be lost later on down the line while maintaining gym gains.

Thanks for sharing it.
Do you still cycle?

Anyone looking for a good resistance training regime for newbies, this has really helped me:
https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Only downside is it requires a gym with a power rack. I've been doing it with nothing but free weight barbell and bench for 3 months. Now I'm squatting with 70kg barbell, I'm having trouble cleaning the weight and thus progressing with the squat exercises. The power rack lets you continue to load the weights without you having to lift them to the starting position for the squat so you progress quicker. I'm now in the process of re-evaluating my regime as going to a better equipped gym will be a proper PITA. On the plus side, my arms and chest are no longer spindly, and my clothes are getting tighter for all the right reasons (not around the gut ;)).

The principle of the regime is 3 compound exercises mean your work out is faster than working each muscle in isolation using machines in the gym.

I may just switch to body weight exercises for simplicity's sake.

Last edited:
With loosing 8 stone since October I had lost a lot of muscle also, I made sure I was eating plenty of protein and I also use ON protein whey, I bought a load of weights and 2 bars and dumbells that I have in the front room ( much to the displeasure of the other half)
I am deadlifting 100kg this week which I increase by 2kg each week ,I barbel row 55kg at the moment with a 2kg increase each week dumbell overhead press 15kg this has been static for a few weeks and a barbell curl with 38kg of weight on the bar
On the dead lift I do just 8 reps all the others are 5 sets of 5reps I try and do this 3 times a week in between my rides

It's starting to pay of as I have more muscle definition and the shirts are a little tighter ,but I still have about 5kg to my target weight and a fair bit of loose skin around my midsection, my weight is not dropping as fast but I am looking leaner and more toned which is a plus

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
With loosing 8 stone since October I had lost a lot of muscle also, I made sure I was eating plenty of protein and I also use ON protein whey, I bought a load of weights and 2 bars and dumbells that I have in the front room ( much to the displeasure of the other half)
I am deadlifting 100kg this week which I increase by 2kg each week ,I barbel row 55kg at the moment with a 2kg increase each week dumbell overhead press 15kg this has been static for a few weeks and a barbell curl with 38kg of weight on the bar
On the dead lift I do just 8 reps all the others are 5 sets of 5reps I try and do this 3 times a week in between my rides

It's starting to pay of as I have more muscle definition and the shirts are a little tighter ,but I still have about 5kg to my target weight and a fair bit of loose skin around my midsection, my weight is not dropping as fast but I am looking leaner and more toned which is a plus
Anyone looking for a good resistance training regime for newbies, this has really helped me:

Only downside is it requires a gym with a power rack. I've been doing it with nothing but free weight barbell and bench for 3 months. Now I'm squatting with 70kg barbell, I'm having trouble cleaning the weight and thus progressing with the squat exercises. The power rack lets you continue to load the weights without you having to lift them to the starting position for the squat so you progress quicker. I'm now in the process of re-evaluating my regime as going to a better equipped gym will be a proper PITA. On the plus side, my arms and chest are no longer spindly, and my clothes are getting tighter for all the right reasons (not around the gut ;)).

The principle of the regime is 3 compound exercises mean your work out is faster than working each muscle in isolation using machines in the gym.

I may just switch to body weight exercises for simplicity's sake.
Stronglifts 5x5 is exactly what I'm at :laugh: and I genuinely love it. I can pull better than I push so barbell row is far better than bench press or overhead press. I did though as recommended buy my own smaller plates so I could microload instead of using the gyms smallest 1.25plates x2, I use 0.75 x2 where necessary

BikeCurious

Über Member

Stronglifts 5x5 is exactly what I'm at :laugh: and I genuinely love it

I was wondering about the Stronglifts program, how does it affect your cycling? I can't imagine getting on the bike the day after heavy squatting. The program has you squatting 3 times a week, do your legs hurt all the time as a result?

Top Bottom