Skinsuits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enis Baysal

Haiii guys.
I have been looking around online for skinsuits and 1 the market is huge and 2 *my main question* prices...
I have seen some as cheap as £50, others for 400+.... I am still a novice biker, however serious about training to do longer and longer distance. Ultimately are there good and bad purchases to be made?
To an uneducated mind like myself I see them all as the same? Light, thin etc?
Any pointers on budget but decent brands (if possible) would be appreciated :smile:!
Thank you

screenman

Legendary Member
Impsport and made to your size which is very important.

http://www.impsport.com/category/cycling-skinsuits

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Forget skinsuits for anything other than time trials. Really. They are all thin lycra, and going to the loo is tricky.

They are for racing. Go for bib shorts and jersey.

screenman

Legendary Member
Forget skinsuits for anything other than time trials. Really. They are all thin lycra, and going to the loo is tricky.

No problem going to the loo, the zip comes down far enough for me anyway.

I must admit though I do have a few skin suits it is as you suggest bibs and tops, mainly for the pockets.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member

Yes, indeed. And of course they are cut for a TT position, so unless you're planning on riding for hours right down on the drops, they won't be an ideal fit. Plus, of course, you'll be throwing the whole thing away when the bottom half wears out.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
More and more road racers are choosing skin suits, as such manufacturers are jumping on the band wagon and offering ones which are suitable for road riding I.e. with pockets and easier toilet stops.

However, the benefit of a skinsuit unless you are a racer is pretty much non-existant.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
My giordana skinsuit has a single zipped rear pocket but it is not as practical as a traditional jersey with multiple rear pockets for long training or group rides. I would wear it for any competitive event be it TT, race or HC though.

OP
OP
Enis Baysal

Enis Baysal

If it helps on your opinions in any way the reason I wanted one was because I put in alot of effort to getting to work and over the past month I have gone from a 24 minute journey down to my personal best today which has been 16:30.. I like the sense of achievement when I do personal bests.. I guess its a personal tt ^^... also I am now taking detours and trying to keep my average speed improving consistantly :smile: along with the longer mileage. My commute to work is only 6.3 miles and I just got home at 2:30am after a 11 something mile detour^^
I am hoping ill manage 100 miles in 6 months or so^^

@Enis Baysal

Lots of non skinsuit/speedsuit options that are "more" aero than normal bib and tee, but there are also some tee's and bib combo's that are pretty close also. A few ideas, mostly Castelli as they lead the way, imo, in terms of aero and functionality just now.

Castelli SanRemo 3.0 - I have this and it is pretty good for TT. Fit is tight and comfort excellent. It is pretty fast.
Castelli velocissimo sanremo suit - cheaper sibling.
Aero race Jersey - Coupled with normal bibs or for best aero option - Body paint bibs. Expensive option though. More versatile.
Louis Garneau course jersey - Aero with pockets, expensive. Highly rated.
Louis Garneau course skin suit - also with pockets like the SanRemo 3.0. Highly regarded also but slightly harder to get in the uk.

There are plenty of standalone skinsuits out there verying hugely in price but for most the lack of pockets are a real draw back. The above options solve this dilema to some extent. IMO if you are not doing racing or TT then the aero top with normal bibs would be as fast and comfortable as most with the versatility of standard bib tee combo.

I have some Assos, Castelli and Giordana jerseys (short sleeve) and, as long as they are tight fit and not loose, they are all pretty close to "aero" in terms of fit and functionality. They won't eek out the extra seconds a dedicated TT suit will over a set distance in an aero tuck.

Top Bottom