SKS Chromoplastic Mudguards - Fitting to road bike - Trek 1.2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddy01

Picked up some of the 35mm SKS Chromoplastics today from LBS to fit to a 2010'ish Trek 1.2 road bike.

I think the rear will be fine but after 2 hours I can't see any way of getting the front to mount, there simply doesn't appear to be enough height clearance in the front forks unless anyone can suggest anything?

The calipers are long drop Shimano's which have captive hollow threaded allan bolt through the rear of the fork bridge. Tyres are 700x28.

Far as I can see the metal fitting on the front mudguard would need to mount at the front behind the caliper rather than rear of the fork due to the captive nut arrangement but I can't get the guard high enough in the forks to get clearance, even with the tyre deflated it rubs and inflated is jammed solid.

Willing be popping back to LBS tomorrow and presume I'm looking at race blade longs instead unless anyone can suggest anything I might be missing?

Cheers

Paddy

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

Ah, I'm not alone, time to go Hulk on the job I think..

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fitting-sks-chromoplastic-mudguards.18491/

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Watching with interest, since I plan to fit some to my 2013 Trek 1.2 ready for winter. That said, I will likely go for the race blades anyway..

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

I'm in 2 minds at the moment, pop back to LBS whilst they're still in a returnable state or do my usual Hulk routine and starting lengthening the front fork mounting bracket to get more height..

Think I'll try again tomorrow after the steam has subsided a bit.. I've built entire bikes from a box of parts before.. defeated by mudguards.

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

I really am a cockwomble of the 1st order sometimes.

Was checking tyre sidewall for psi measurements and noticed something.. they're bloody 32's not 28's. Arse and double arse. Slap on a set of Cont Gator 25's I had kicking about and, for the front at least, it all fits and clears.

Still no idea why the 23's off the other bike appeared not to clear yesterday but hey ho.

2 more stays to trim down on the front then it's onto the back, still, what's 3.5 hours to fit 1 mudguard /facepalm.

@cosmicbike I can therefore confirm that a P35 SKS Chromoplastic front mudguard will fit on a Trek 1.2 with 700x25's. For 28's I'd say it would depend on the tyre and will be pushing it but don't have any on hand to test with I'm afraid.

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

Rear fitted a lot easier!

So that's the guards and Super Tourist DX rack fitted.. next up change the bars to slightly wider set..

Now then.. about that groupset I saw on sale...

OP
OP
paddy01

paddy01

Hmmm, bike dropped off with LBS today. Needed headset doing and I've not the time to do it myself, and.. instructed to see if they can get more clearance on the mudguards, even if that means modifying them / trimming bits off etc..

They do fit and clear and no rubbing when bike in workstand, however there's so little clearance then when dynamic forces are at work whilst climbing / cornering etc. then they do make contact. Also any grit etc picked up on the tyre will grind the inside of the front guard.

Don't want to go to 23's for commuting so sticking with 25's.... pass the dremel...

Top Bottom