SKS Raceblades on disk bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Can you install these fenders on Giant Defy disc or do the brakes get in the way? If you can fit them, do you have to customize them?

One reason I considered a Giant Defy Disk isthat I was under the impression since there is no rim brake to get in the way, the Raceblades are easier to install. Is that wrong?

musa

Über Member
I believe Giant have fenders for their own bike last time i looked on the website not long ago. Im thinking to get one myself

Jenkins

Legendary Member
The standard Raceblades clip to the stays and fork so they should fit. Raceblade Longs rely on attaching to the QR skewers so the stays may catch the callipers, and also rely on the rim brake fittings at the fork crown and brake bridge. If the Defy disc doesn't have these drilled for rim brake fitting to put a bolt through, you probably couldn't use the Raceblade longs.

Mike!

Guru
As a defy disc owner I think you might find the front brake line route gets in the way of raceblade attachment as it runs down the back side of the fork leg. Giant do list their own version of the raceblade as fitting the defy disc but you can also use the Giant mudguards designed for the standard defy, however the front section of the front mudguard will not go under the fork between the tyre so has to be cut off.

To be clear it has fittings on the front fork crown and rear bridge plus at the bottom of the front fork and rear stays, it's just lack of room between the tyre and fork...

20160228_153207_zpstqfrhmts.jpg

mattobrien

Guru
I use Raceblade XLs on my CAAD12 disc equipped bike. As has been said they attached via rubber ties to the seat stays at the rear and fork at the front and no issues.

I had Raceblade longs on my previous bike and they needed to have the brackets attached at the QR skewers and also in the same fixing as the rim brake callipers, so wouldn't work for a bike without rim brakes.

To be fair I haven't used mudguards in a while as it has been dry round here. Also both Raceblade xl's and longs do a crap job of stopping spray month to the seat tube, they keep your arse dry, but expect to clean the bike after a wet ride.

Top Bottom