Sky ‘Professional’ Cycling Team

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
rich p said:
I guess most new posters take a little time to get the feel of the place and introduce themselves a little. It's possible you came over as a bit opinionated and gobby for a new boy.
You're more than welcome and different opinions are fine and indeed to be welcomed.

Fits right in

rich p said:
You're more than welcome and different opinions are fine and indeed to be welcomed.

I second the above!

New boys (and girls) are always welcome, especially if they have relevant and insightful comments to make.

I think it was wrong that you were labelled a troll, just because someone didn't like your opinion, but you'll find out who to ignore or disregard in time!

Stay around and enjoy yourself.

Noodley

Team Fiwip said:
p.s. what is a 'troll' and why are views 'from under the bridge' ?

Don't worry about it, if anyone genuinely thought you were a troll rather than them just being a bit miffed at your views then they'd have reported the thread to Moderators as per my earlier post....that nobody did indicates they know there would have been no action taken just because you voiced an opinion.

carry on...:laugh:

yello

montage said:
As much as it pains me to say it, Brad was a bit out of order to Garmin

Yes, I think so too. But what's Brad to do? It's his livelihood. Offered a shed load of cash and a team around you... I think we can all understand why even if our Corinthian values wish it weren't so.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Dayvo said:
I think it was wrong that you were labelled a troll, just because someone didn't like your opinion, but you'll find out who to ignore or disregard in time!

That wasn't the reason, as I've already said, it was the manner in which the 'opinion' was expressed.

However, I am happy to accept that I was wrong.

I should point out that I am one of the least likely people on this board to be sympathetic to anything funded by Rupert Murdoch so I am no kind of spokesperson for Sky (although they have a few riders I admire), but I do think calling Dave Brailsford 'delusional' is a bit out of order to someone who's helped (ahem) revolutionise British cycling over recent years, and your comments on the team name, as have already been pointed out, were just wrong.

On the other hand, they certainly have got the established teams' backs up. Whether this is good or a bad thing though, I am not so sure. It is not as if some of the teams riding (e.g. Liquigas) have a lot to be proud of right now, and the more overtly 'clean' teams there are, the better. The contract-breaking thing is no big deal - it's happened in all professional sports, and it is happening in cycling. Boasson-Hagen was right too, I think - unfortunately his injury was one of the things that itself caused his prediction not to be fulfilled. And remember, they have a five year-plan not a plan to win everything this year. I don't think they will be too disappointed so far... but let's see what happens with the Grand Tours.

lukesdad

Self Opinionation on CC:ohmy:......Never find it from this quarter!:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

As for Sky Im definitely not a fan. To much we re gonna do this we re gonna do that for my liking.

gavintc

Guru
lukesdad said:
Self Opinionation on CC:ohmy:......Never find it from this quarter!:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

As for Sky Im definitely not a fan. To much we re gonna do this we re gonna do that for my liking.

Oh the sponsors are really going to rush to give money to a team that says - don't worry we will just ride and maybe get into the top ten. This is a professional business and it relies upon the advertising revenue.

lukesdad

Think the comments were post the sponsership deal. Instead of boasting why don t they employ somebody who s actually going to win something!

OP
OP
T

Team Fiwip

Caisse d'Epargne
Liquigas
Saxo Bank
BMC
Cervelo
Astana
Androni Giocattoli
Lampre
Team HTC
Milram
Quick Step
Team Katusha
Rabobank
AG2R

All the above have at least one rider placed above Sky's best rider in the Giro’s GC. In Sky’s defence they may be using the Giro as a training exercise in preparation for the Tour, nevertheless, the term ’could do better’ springs to mind. Does anyone else think that despite the hype and money being thrown at them they may be underperforming? In the main they are mostly experienced guys, they should have hit the ground running.

Not 'trolling' just my humble opinion

zimzum42

Legendary Member
We really should give them some time to prove themselves. Anyhow, as for grand claims, well, all teams make those, you can hardly expect a team to claim they are only aiming to win a couple of minor races and maybe have a rider in the top 50 in the tour....

OP
OP
T

Team Fiwip

Commentators on eurosport are applying the logic that Wiggins under performance is based on the belief that his major focus is the Tour, if you apply the same logic then you could argue that Evan’s, Basso, Sastre, Nibali and the like are not preparing for the Tour!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's more than one way to skin a cat! I don't know about Wiggins but he may have a plan.
FWIW, I think Evans is possibly putting too much effort in here just 6 weeks before the TdF but he may think his chance of a GT win is more likely in a Contador-less race.
Are Basso and Sastre riding the Tour?

OP
OP
T

Team Fiwip

Basso is supposed to be co-captaining the Liquigas team at the Tour and I'd expect Sastre to be Cervelo's no.1, I think you're right about Contador I reckon all the other teams would prefer a Contador-less Tdf

Top Bottom