sky tv problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
sound is a constant "burrrrrrr "but only on channel 5 this is via hdmi :wacko:
via scart the sound is fine
tried another tv and via hdmi their is no sound at all
tried another known good hdmi cable which is the same
did a rebuild on the box as suggested by sky to no effect , then they tried to flog me an upgrade or a £65 service charge
A bit stumpd TBH

vickster

Legendary Member
Reinforcing the fact that the cr@p on Channel 5 isn’t worth listening to?

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Had it been OK and just started doing it ? or has it always been like it ? We used to get something similar when the HDMI lead picked up signals from the scart or sat lead ie interference. Try moving the the Hdmi lead away from other leads. Try another HDMI lead best if fully screened. The other thing to try is the sound setting on the Sky box. It could be on Dolby 5.1 if my memory serves me correctly. Try the stereo position. You may have to power off and back on again to try. I would not have thought that it was a fault with the Sky box. Sometimes strange things happen and only on one channel. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Had it been OK and just started doing it ? or has it always been like it ? We used to get something similar when the HDMI lead picked up signals from the scart or sat lead ie interference. Try moving the the Hdmi lead away from other leads. Try another HDMI lead best if fully screened. The other thing to try is the sound setting on the Sky box. It could be on Dolby 5.1 if my memory serves me correctly. Try the stereo position. You may have to power off and back on again to try. I would not have thought that it was a fault with the Sky box. Sometimes strange things happen and only on one channel. Hope this helps.
Tried all of these , someone I know is lending me another box to test

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Have you got the sky box hdmi straight to the tv ? Is the sound coming through a sound system ? If so try adjusting the sound settings on that if you hav`nt already done so. I know you said that you`d tried another tv but that had no sound. Did you try it more than once with different HDMI leads ? As sometimes you may get no sound if the equipment does`nt handshake because it is a digital signal.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Channel 5 broadcasts much of its sound as Dolby Digital\AC3 only, much more so than other channels. If your Sky box is set up for it but your tv isn't, you may not get any sound.

You can change the sound from Dolby Digital to two channel in the Sky box settings. Whatever it is currently set to, try the other two channel/stereo ones.

[edit] This can happen after an automatic software update. For example, older boxes could only output Dolby Digital over their optical output but an update some time ago changed this so that the hdmi output could be set to Dolby Digital as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Have you got the sky box hdmi straight to the tv ? Is the sound coming through a sound system ? If so try adjusting the sound settings on that if you hav`nt already done so. I know you said that you`d tried another tv but that had no sound. Did you try it more than once with different HDMI leads ? As sometimes you may get no sound if the equipment does`nt handshake because it is a digital signal.
straight to tv in both cases with different leads
main tv has to be 15 years old .

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
As Rezillo said about changing the sound setting on the sky box to 2 channel. You may need to reboot the sky box afterwards to take effect. Try it on the other the other tv then. I assume you have tried in different HDMI sockets on the tv, unless you only have the one of course ?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Channel 5 broadcasts much of its sound as Dolby Digital\AC3 only, much more so than other channels. If your Sky box is set up for it but your tv isn't, you may not get any sound.

You can change the sound from Dolby Digital to two channel in the Sky box settings. Whatever it is currently set to, try the other two channel/stereo ones.

[edit] This can happen after an automatic software update. For example, older boxes could only output Dolby Digital over their optical output but an update some time ago changed this so that the hdmi output could be set to Dolby Digital as well
You sire are a genius , sorted !
Now why didnt sky help line say this ?

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Glad that you got it sorted. Nine time out of ten it would be a settings issue or re-boot. We used to get lots of people say that they`d phoned Sky or whoever the manufacturer was to no avail, so you are not alone. Now at least you can enjoy Ch5 !

Rezillo

TwoSheds
You sire are a genius , sorted !
Now why didnt sky help line say this ?

Pretty poor on Sky's part - the Channel 5 issue was a bit of a giveaway. AC3 is used on many other channels, of course, but these tend to have additional non-AC3 two channel audio.

My pet audio gripe is that the broadcasters don't set the flag properly on two channel AC3 audio, so a multichannel receiver sees it as five channel and only produces stereo that won't switch to pro-logic, thereby losing the centre dialog channel.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My pet audio gripe is that the broadcasters don't set the flag properly on two channel AC3 audio, so a multichannel receiver sees it as five channel and only produces stereo that won't switch to pro-logic, thereby losing the centre dialog channel.
Speaking of broadcasters and 'flags'... I have noticed that Film4 sometimes fail to flag the end of late night films. My Freesat box often overruns by 2-3 hours on Film4 recordings if they are late at night. It is the only channel that I have the problem on.

postman

Legendary Member
Dear Mr Rezillo can you help we have a Virgin v6 box and very good it is too,but and it's a big but it picks up Love Island and Geordie Shore Tattoo me and you and allsorts of crap like that,can you suggest a solution.Uncle Drago eat your heart out.

Top Bottom