Slashing the Christmas card list.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's that time of year again, when we go through the pointless ritual of exchanging cards with people we haven't seen or even spoken to in 20+ years. So I've decided not to waste paper and stamps. My brothers and I have declared a "no cards" amnesty, which includes their various offspring.

Five years ago, I was posting out 30 to 40 cards. This year..... 9 :ohmy:. I still have about 12 which I will put through the doors of neighbours. Work is different, probably about 30 cards to distribute there, but it doesn't involve stamps and postal strikes.

I think Christmas cards have past their sell by date. The yoofs don't seem to bother, when a whatsapp message will do. I find myself agreeing with them on that, at least. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We're not bothering - might do one to family as we've stopped the presents for the 'adults' - does mean the kids are getting something better though.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I only send two now. Everybody else who was on my Christmas card list is now dead. The younger generation don't seem to bother with them like the OP said.

tom73

Guru
We're not bothering - might do one to family as we've stopped the presents for the 'adults' - does mean the kids are getting something better though.

That's what we want to do the outlaws and co won't agree / see what the problem is so we get dragged into pointless present buying. :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's what we want to do the outlaws and co won't agree / see what the problem is so we get dragged into pointless present buying. :sad:

We've suggested it to wife's side but it's not happened - I'd be glad as I usually get really crap presents from one SIL. I was going to suggest it to my side, when my sister messaged to say we should just get for the kids

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work! The only person who gets one is my mother, and this year's will be the one I never got around to sending last time..

While I appreciate the importance of staying in touch, cards are a needlessly costly, convoluted and wasteful way of doing so IMO.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think its mainly the elderly who do them. My mother is 90 and she sends them to people she hasnt seen since her wedding in the 1950s and also to the sons/daughters of people she was friends with but have since passed away?
The worst is when people send big written updates about what they are doing. If you never ever see them then why would you be interested? They have totally had their day,I give to charity instead and just wish people all the best etc.

tom73

Guru
We've suggested it to wife's side but it's not happened - I'd be glad as I usually get really crap presents from one SIL. I was going to suggest it to my side, when my sister messaged to say we should just get for the kids

Yep I know about crap presents normal I get stuff they think I like or vouchers for stuff I don't need.
Our is "secret" santa sis outlaw though set it at £50 but that get's pushed up at times. So everyone just go's to the max on stuff. Either they asked for stuff they never buy unless some one else pays like I've just paid 50 quid for perfume sis outlaw never buys or stuff they'd buy anyway.

vickster

Legendary Member
I do Christmas cards, although far fewer in the past.
As for presents, we agreed to stop as a family a couple of years ago, adults only, there are no kids, we never knew what to get so we were just buying things for the sake of it. we just buy ourselves whatever we want these days!

Sharky

Guru
Recall reading a column in a newspaper and the writer claimed that he never sent Xmas cards.

But for everyone he received, he sent back a New Year's card. He claimed that this way, his card would be more memorable and he wouldn't waste time and money sending cards to people who didn't send home one.

Top Bottom