Slashing the Christmas card list.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This Oldie here stopped doing Christmas cards years ago, maybe 10.
Apart from the hassle, they are a waste of paper.

I look for cards on clearance... :whistle: Especially if they've got cats on them. I have a whole cupboard full of cards with cats on them. :girldance:

Mine gets a bottle of something, but no card ^_^

A previous postie used to get two large bottles of Speckled Hen beer as that was his favourite tipple. I prefer to give biskits though, as not everyone drinks, and well, a nice biskit with a :cuppa: is one of life's little pleasures. :blush:

Yes, agree. Last year I started a job in a very old fashioned environment.
At Christmas time I had to put my food down, I don't want presents or cards, I don't give any.
Otherwise the bloody circle of useless tat would have never ended :laugh:

The worst one I got was the year those colourful plastic briefcases were all the rage at school. And this big box turns up in the post from the guy who used to be the accountant for dad's business, just the right size and all. I was so excited. Left it till last on Christmas. When I opened the box, inside was a packet of six self-assembly cardboard storage wallets embossed with the logo of the accountancy firm. :wacko:

If I like someone, they get a box of homemade biscuits or a homemade cake ^_^

In my case it's homemade Lebkuchen, or a jar of marmalade, jam, chutney or pickle. If they have pets, then the appropriate treats and toys will also find their way into a parcel. :blush:

We use this jacquielawson.com/
As long as the recipient has an email account.

All uphill

Still rolling along
No cards posted by us; we do put cards through neighbours' letterboxes, seems a nice thing to do with several not using the Internet.

posted 4 second class, so not even sure they will get there on time with the strikes
they were also posted with the knowledge that i won't get any posted to me in return. any i get will be handed to me (which is fair enough)
i know they will like getting their letter in the post though :secret:
to be honest i didn't do xmas cards for years until i met my GF who is into getting bespoke cards made, so i got into the spirit.
but i can see that spirit slowly dissolving so will have to see what happens next year :tongue:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I received a hand posted Christmas card yesterday from a friend who hasn't been in touch since April and didn't send their usual birthday card to me last month. It contained a short message asking how I am. Why stop contacting someone, but feel the need to send a Christmas card? I'm pondering now whether to send one back, or not.🤔 I don't want to do the pointless keep in touch once a year, via a Christmas card thing. That's ok if both of you are many miles apart (my mum and dad used to get one from an old work mate of dad's who emigrated to New Zealand in the late 60's), but the sender lives about a quarter of a mile away. Plus the card was one of those 20 for a quid ones, not the senders usual 3 quid ones.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Haven’t sent any after I got posted overseas years ago. Its also the dawn of an era that it quite awkward to ask for an address.

Some else mentioned earlier in this thread about people writing up their year and its all personal stuff. I got one last week and it also covered what the grandkids did. Not sure when this trend started but I was surprised to read it.

Fastpedaller

Re... 'stuck in the post' .... A monthly magazine I subscribe to was received yesterday (22 Dec) having been posted on 28th November. Does anyone know of a longer wait?

A friend of mine got 37 yesterday. :ohmy:

I got two, one of which was unexpected. Most of mine are accounted for - just waiting on a handful, though last year two of those never replied either, so won't bother next year with those.

Not checked my box yet today.

Top Bottom