Slashing the Christmas card list.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
The worst is when people send big written updates about what they are doing.
Indeed; especially those that list like a shameless summary of smug self-satisfactory humble-brags with no sense of self-awareness... but like facebook status updates for boomers I guess!

D

Deleted member 1258

We're members of a pensioners club and in the lead up to Xmas theres a lot of exchanging of Xmas cards, my Good lady usually has a few spare cards in her handbag as we usually manage to miss someone, outside of the club and family I don't send cards unless I get a card from someone.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I judge people based on how many Christmas cards they receive. Just a handful are clearly inconsiderate, and only get them from relatives. Remove them from your lives as you'll become as bad as them soon. Hundreds, and they are clearly popular, therefore warm and friendly people who consider others. Keep in touch, and learn from how they treat others.

Me? Just get one from my Mum, in-laws and sister. And our local councilors.

tom73

Guru
We use to get loads when Mrs73 worked the wards now not so many. We send ones to neighbours, each other and the odd one or two at work. Mrs 73 sends way too many she posed them early then sent a load more. She always spends time and finds special ones for her family. In return we get any old card from which ever pack mother outlaw happens to have. Same with sis outlaw if she remembers and never had any from bro outlaws. I keep asking why she bothers as no-one else is but she still gets into a panic over finding them and sending them.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Stopped sending cards but a select few get an email with a picture of some kind and the usual guff.
Two grandchildren get cash and son and wife get a bigger cash sum within the tax free ( I think )
bracket. They can make use of it in any way they like but if I just keep it the value will go down without much return for me.

Mmmm, I think I write about 20 cards (not many of my friends live near by), although the list does tend to be quite fluid. If I don't hear from someone for two years on the trot, then that's it - I always put return address on the back of the envelope, so there's no excuse.

I always put one out (along with a box of biskits) for the postie, the bin men, the guys on the recycling truck, and my usual till ladies & gent in Tesco always get a jar of homemade preserves.

As for presents - it's just mum and me here. I always buy mum something that she collects and mum gives me some money and that's fine. I get a few small gifts from friends (books, silly socks and the like) and I send something homemade in return. That's the best thing about giving homemade foodie gifts - everyone loves them and it's always something tasty.

Have received my share of useless / irrelevant tat when I was younger, just because family and family friends and acquaintances felt obliged to give me something, without thinking about what I might actually like. I'd rather have just had nothing than some of the things I ended up getting.

Fastpedaller

My parents had friends they had known for years (since during 2nd WW) , lovely genuine people who didn't have a large income. My Mum was always scathing when we received their Christmas card..... because it wasn't new! They were wonderfully inventive, changing the "To Bert & Mavis" greeting they had received into "From Bert & Mavis" in order to forward it to us. Other tricks were to use pinking shears to cut the card just at the right place to retain enough of the image on the front, yet remove the previous sender's identity. Fantastic stuff! I used to look forward to receiving their recycled card and see how their methods had evolved. Lovely people who are now sadly departed, but their legacy lives on in my mind, and could be useful in the financial climate we find ourselves in (though nothing as difficult as WW2). Their names have been changed just in case any of their relatives are looking here.

Slick

Guru
Come on everyone, everyone loves getting a card from friends. Yes they are a completely stupid idea, far too much hassle and getting more expensive every year, but they bring a smile to a lot of faces and at least let people know that whilst you may be extremely busy, they have not totally been forgotten.

Its not a huge ask. :okay:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I think Christmas cards have past their sell by date. The yoofs don't seem to bother, when a whatsapp message will do. I find myself agreeing with them on that, at least.
This Oldie here stopped doing Christmas cards years ago, maybe 10.
Apart from the hassle, they are a waste of paper.
I always put one out (along with a box of biskits) for the postie,
Mine gets a bottle of something, but no card ^_^
I get a few small gifts from friends (books, silly socks and the like) and I send something homemade in return. That's the best thing about giving homemade foodie gifts - everyone loves them and it's always something tasty.
Same here, the only actual gift I buy is a very small one for a friend abroad. It's also the only one Christmas card I need.
I'd rather have just had nothing than some of the things I ended up getting.
Yes, agree. Last year I started a job in a very old fashioned environment.
At Christmas time I had to put my food down, I don't want presents or cards, I don't give any.
Otherwise the bloody circle of useless tat would have never ended :laugh:
If I like someone, they get a box of homemade biscuits or a homemade cake ^_^

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Come on everyone, everyone loves getting a card from friends. Yes they are a completely stupid idea, far too much hassle and getting more expensive every year, but they bring a smile to a lot of faces and at least let people know that whilst you may be extremely busy, they have not totally been forgotten.

Its not a huge ask. :okay:

Lol, what's wrong with a What'sApp message? :whistle:

tom73

Guru
True friendship is meeting up for the 1st time in months and it being like it was yesterday. Or knowing that when ever you or they are in trouble or just need a shoulder to cry on you know they drop every thing and come running. That's worth more than any card can ever be.
We've rarely sent a card to each other in all our years but never forgotten each other.

Top Bottom