Slicks on a MTB.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Before I got a road bike I tried 1" slicks on my MTB. Very fast rolling. However they also lowered the bikes gearing and also reduced pedal ground clearance. Some said my bike looked like a circus bike too - wheels looked tiny in a frame with huge clearances. I now use 1.5" cityjets which work well.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Before my old Spesh 2010 MTB was nicked (grr..barstweards etc:cursing:), it had Schwalbe marathon slicks on it. Blimey, talk about a speed boost!.

BTW: No one would be quick on acid . They'd probably be laid flat on their back staring up at the clouds while listening to some Floyd...:okay:

Bodhbh

Guru
However they also lowered the bikes gearing and also reduced pedal ground clearance. Some said my bike looked like a circus bike too - wheels looked tiny in a frame with huge clearances. I now use 1.5" cityjets which work well.

Going down to Schwalbe Kojaks on my MTB (1.25"?) I had a couple of moments with pedal strikes, at least till I got used to the new BB height. tbh I wasn't mad about the ride either, bit harsh. If I run slicks on a MTB now, it's 2.35" Schwalbe Super Motos (or whatever the equivalent is nowadays). They don't weight much for the size, roll fast and keep the ride plush.

Info from schwalbe attached. I would take the tyre off and measure the rim. No ifs or buts then.
rimwidth.png

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
This ride begins in Etchingham and ends in Hastings. It’s a little over 40 miles, and a good deal of it is flat, though it doesn’t start out that way. Peaceful country lanes for the most part. It includes the Cuckoo Trail, brought to you by the Beeching Axe. There’s also some offroad along the St Leonards beach. Probably starting 9.30-10.00. Will be cancelled or date moved if the weather is too disagreeable. No big lunch stop.

Any ERTO number on the rim? 559-xx?

If it is a straight sided rim, as on the embedded chart Graham Bowers posted. As the current tyre is way bigger than that, it is a near certainty that you have hooked bead rims, which stop oversized tyres being blown off the rim*.

*No need to page Fnaar.

Yeah, it is a hooked rim.

clockworksimon

Über Member
Besides Cityjets I am also using Wiggle's Lifeline Essential Commuter 1.75 x 26 slicks on another old skool rigid MTB. These seem really good, are good value and have kevlar protection.

I was also using Michelin Country Rock 1.75 x 26 tyres until recently. These have more pronounced tread but still roll well. Used for mixed hilly road and dry trail riding which they are really good for. However I dont like the way that the grooves pick up and hold small stones etc which would not be good for town riding where there is glass.

Have also used Specialized Nimbus for road and easy trail touring on the past. Again these were good although relatively expensive.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
How about some Schwalbe Fat Franks? Those are pretty wide, run a good pressure, and don't have a big tread at all. I've been looking for a pair for my 26" drop bar tourer. Continental Retro Rides may suffice as well, but look more cruiserly. The problem with thinner tires(and I tried Geax Laczems in 1.0) is that they require a narrower tube, and just don't have the durability one might need on a 26" tourer or drop bar bike, for the reasons you build such a rig in the first place. Wider tires at the same pressure and the comparable tread will work better, providing more resistance to pinch flats and other flats as well. I'm just biding my time at the co-op until some Schwalbe Marathons or Fat Franks come in, all big tread tires now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom