Slight Tyre Bulge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

As title, my rear tyre has a very slight bulge to the side. It's only obvious if you spin the wheel and watch the profile 'jump' as it passes.

Tyre is Schwalbe Durano Plus, around 2.2k miles on it. Don't know if it could be something to do with the smartguard deforming a bit.

Time for a replacement, or nothing of concern?

Davidc

Guru
I'd replace.

The risk is that it's the fabric base and the tyre will eventually rupture explosively.

If you're running with 90 or 100 psi thats a lot of pressure to keep tamed if there's a fault.

At that mileage the tyre must be at least half way through its life, and if the distortion is small you could reasonably keep the tyre as an emergency spare. (Useful if the local vandals have a tyre slashing spree).

I've only seen a tyre bulge once and it started off as nothing but quickly developed and blew. Given that it the rear tyre a blow out is not as severe (I've had a couple of blown out rims) and not a dire emergency but it is still not nice, I'd replace when you can.

2.2k mls on a road bike tyre sounds typical from discussions about this before; I usually get around 3.5k mls but I guess I'm not typical. The wide 37mm tyres on my utility bike are still going strong at over 7000mls.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Thanks, replacement ordered. I've never ridden a tyre to the end of it's life so this is all new stuff. Explosive rupturing sounds painful :smile:

Top Bottom