slightly dodgy second hand bike from trader, whats a girl to do please?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
How much did the bike cost?
What would the new price have been?
How old is the bike?
Did you have the opportunity to test ride it?

Ok seems like I have a different opinion to everybody else. Its a second hand bike and bearings are eventually going to wear. They have offered to replace the wheel bearing at a small cost to yourself. If you want to have a perfect machine then I suggest buying new next time.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I have purchased all my bikes second hand. But I realised they would not be perfect and need work sooner than a new bike.

All comes down to the cost and the information provided by the trader at point of sale.

If OP paid 10% of the new price and it was sold as a doer upper then they can have no complaints. If it was 90% of the new price and sold as immaculate then they have a good argument.

But you cannot tell them to reject the bike without several pieces of key information. Forums are great for advice but the fact you have all blamed the dealer without finding out the whole story is laughable. Im not saying the dealer isnt at fault. But we need more information first.

And just to elaborate on the consumer rights act 2015. It states that goods must be as described, fit for purpose and of a satisfactory quality. So you cannot just default expect to get your money back for anything that isnt in mint condition. Given none of us here on this forum have actually heard the noise. We cannot therefore assume the sale has breached this act. Again im not saying the trader isnt at fault, rather giving a more impartial opinion.

Finally, as this is your local bike shop and it sounds you have had good service from them in the past. Might be wise to allow them to fix the bearing and see if you can negotiate them paying part of the cost. You might want to return to the shop for something in future.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If the hub has sealed bearings of a standard size (most are), they are cheap to replace and doing so will restore the hub to "as new" condition. You do need a couple of special tools which most bike shops should own.

With traditional cup and cone hubs, it can be more expensive. If the hub is already rough, just replacing the bearing balls won't help much. On Shimano hubs, the hub is scrap if the cups are pitted. On Campag hubs, cups are replaceable but it's barely economic.

On Shimano hubs, the hub is scrap if the cups are pitted.
aren't there degrees of pitting though?
I had a very new wheel from spa cycles which, god knows how, managed to get a bit of grit inside the hub on one side. There were/are some clear marks on the cup but I just replaced the cone (used a new cheaply sourced hub for its innards) and all seems well. Used lots of grease as well.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Either way I'm pretty confident that it was dealt with back last summer. 😄
Holy thread resurrection Rogerzilla.

Top Bottom