Slip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldridge

Hi all

I've just put my steel Boardman back on the road but I'm getting a bit of chain slip down on the bottom of the cassette is this a worn chain?

I'm pretty sure the gears are adjusted correctly.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers

Eldridge.

vickster

Legendary Member
Quite possibly, measure it. If so, may well need new cassette too

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sure its the chain? The free hub may be sticking so that can feel like chain slip.

If its the chain as above, if it's a sticky hub, quick service will sort that

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

If I remember correctly I did have the slip before I took the bike off the road, the cassette is pretty clean tbh and the gears are set correctly as far as I'm aware.

I have ordered a new chain we will see how that goes and report back.

Thanks for the help.

treblig

Sometimes a few sticky links in the chain can cause slip if they are not allowing the chain to engage.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm getting a bit of chain slip down on the bottom of the cassette is this a worn chain?
I did have the slip before I took the bike off the road, the cassette is pretty clean tbh
If you're getting slipping, then this isn't just a worn chain, it's a worn cassette and chain.
If the "cassette is pretty clean" it's because you've cleaned it ans not/scarcely ridden it. Difficult to tell by inspection if a cassette is worn beyond use.
Absolutely no point in measuring the chain or scrabbling for esoteric possibilities: sticky freehub, sticky chain links.
Buy both and install. Just replacing the chain will make the slipping worse - and right across the cassette - because the (now worn) cassette has grown up with the chain and can cope with it, except on the sprockets you use most for putting power down.

OP
OP
eldridge

eldridge

Yeah Ajax Bay still slipping, gonna need a cassette, thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom