Slipping after chain replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Replace the cassette with a new one now, then in a 1,000 miles or so, swap back to the old cassette, which won't slip on the now old chain.

The next time you need to change the chain (after another 1,000 or so miles), use the new cassette again and repeat.

That way, new chains will always run on a new cassette (which will hardly wear at all, as most of the wear occurs when the chain has stretched), and older chains will always run on older cassette (which will wear a bit, but won't slip for an eternity, as it will never be presented with a new chain).

You won't need to buy a cassette for a very long time.

Old cassettes don't cause any additional wear to new chains in my opinion (unless they are actually slipping). Old chains on the other hand, will knacker a new cassette enough that it will slip with a new chain in just a few miles.
Just to update. I actually bought two new cassettes as they were dirt cheap, both SRAM 12-26 same as original. I had one on for 250 miles swapped that for the second and put 280 miles on that. I have now gone back to the original and that is fine. I thought that if it slipped I could go back to one and try again but as I said that is fine. Thank you for your help.

faster

Über Member
Just to update. I actually bought two new cassettes as they were dirt cheap, both SRAM 12-26 same as original. I had one on for 250 miles swapped that for the second and put 280 miles on that. I have now gone back to the original and that is fine. I thought that if it slipped I could go back to one and try again but as I said that is fine. Thank you for your help.

This is a timely post, as in the next few days I'll be refitting a cassette that has now done 7,000 miles, but started slipping badly at 5,400 miles immediately after I'd fitted a new chain.

Since then it's done two stints of 800 miles at the tail end of two chain's lives with no slipping or issues. I think it's got plenty of miles in it yet.

Top Bottom