Slipping Chain on Big Ring but not Small!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
It's been an interesting thread and there is still uncertainty over which bit of the transmission is the culprit. When you get round to replacing the chain, cassette and chainring, it would be very revealing if you could change each bit one at a time and do a quick test after each change and observe what resolves the problem.

Good luck with the mechanics.
Keith

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
It's been an interesting thread and there is still uncertainty over which bit of the transmission is the culprit. When you get round to replacing the chain, cassette and chainring, it would be very revealing if you could change each bit one at a time and do a quick test after each change and observe what resolves the problem.

Good luck with the mechanics.
Keith
It's an odd thing, the transmission is ultimately only 3 or 4 major components, 2x chain rings a chain and a cassette (disregarding the derailleurs of course).
The transmission even with great care will only last so long....and I consider all of it a consumable, like petrol in a car, you gotta pay out once in a while.
That's the cost of cycling, occasional replacement of parts, a cost we all face.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need to replace chain rings, chain and cassette unless one of the latter two is very new indeed because using old components on new will wear the new out very fast. Sometimes online retailers like Wiggle will offer a transmission "package" where you get all the bits at an affordable price. Check also CRC, Ribble, High on Bikes etc. and ask at your LBS for a deal.

Ridiculous wear rates and expense was one reason why I gave up after 21 years as the world's most dedicated mountain biker and went over to the relative cheapness and greater fitness, cleanliness and subtlety of road cycling.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
You need to replace chain rings, chain and cassette unless one of the latter two is very new indeed because using old components on new will wear the new out very fast. Sometimes online retailers like Wiggle will offer a transmission "package" where you get all the bits at an affordable price. Check also CRC, Ribble, High on Bikes etc. and ask at your LBS for a deal.

Ridiculous wear rates and expense was one reason why I gave up after 21 years as the world's most dedicated mountain biker and went over to the relative cheapness and greater fitness, cleanliness and subtlety of road cycling.

Q: is the wear rate in mountain biking higher than road biking say per mile or say over a year, how do they compare in terms of parts costs ? Interesting.

Globalti

Legendary Member
A good question in view of the fact that on a road bike you probably cover twice the distance for the same effort, my average speed off road used to be 9 mph and on road it's 17 mph or more on flat terrain.

But those road miles can be clean and the off-road miles filthy, so wear is worse off road. It wasn't just the wear on brakes and transmission; it was the general wear to the bike, deterioration in the finish, wear to clothing caused by dirt in the fibres and constant washing, plus the fact that I couldn't mountain bike without driving somewhere whereas on the roadie I can go out from home and come home absolutely beasted. I also get home relatively clean whereas mountain biking I had to change or risk dirtying the car seats then change in a freezing garage then clean the bike then occasionally clean up the mud that accumulated on the driveway and root out the odd plants that had appeared. 21 years of this faffing contributed to my loss of mojo.

Top Bottom