Slipping Chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Earlier i went to pull out of a side road, in what would be middle ring and 3rd smallest at the back, jumped out of the saddle as i started to pull away and the chain slipped so the pedal flew to the lowest point. Thankfully my new grippy mtb pedals didnt lose my foot so i didnt hit anything and the bike continued working fine as if nothing had happened. Im not sure if it slipped front or back or how to tell. The chain and cassette were both replaced about a month ago. Ive checked the chain links arent stiff, cassette teeth look fine. Im wondering if it could be caused by dodgy derailleur alignment, because occasionally the rear wouldnt shift properly, like maybe once in a 20 mile ride and id just knocked down 2 gears on approach to the junction. Ive adjusted the gears now, but i dont really want the chain to slip in traffic or to hit myself on the bike.

Also I cant seem to get rid of brake squeal on the front vbrakes, Ive toed them in numerous times with an elastic band around one end. The only time i got them quiet was after cleaning the rims with a scourer thingy, but as soon as any moisture gets on them or the rims get slightly dirty the squealing comes back and its super loud. The pads were brilliant and quiet for the first 2-3 days and have since just been a total nightmare.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Gear cables might have stretched and become a tad slack, slight adjustment should sort it.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Earlier i went to pull out of a side road, in what would be middle ring and 3rd smallest at the back, jumped out of the saddle as i started to pull away and the chain slipped so the pedal flew to the lowest point. Thankfully my new grippy mtb pedals didnt lose my foot so i didnt hit anything and the bike continued working fine as if nothing had happened. Im not sure if it slipped front or back or how to tell. The chain and cassette were both replaced about a month ago. Ive checked the chain links arent stiff, cassette teeth look fine. Im wondering if it could be caused by dodgy derailleur alignment, because occasionally the rear wouldnt shift properly, like maybe once in a 20 mile ride and id just knocked down 2 gears on approach to the junction. Ive adjusted the gears now, but i dont really want the chain to slip in traffic or to hit myself on the bike.

Also I cant seem to get rid of brake squeal on the front vbrakes, Ive toed them in numerous times with an elastic band around one end. The only time i got them quiet was after cleaning the rims with a scourer thingy, but as soon as any moisture gets on them or the rims get slightly dirty the squealing comes back and its super loud. The pads were brilliant and quiet for the first 2-3 days and have since just been a total nightmare.
This squeaky brake pad problem plagued me on a bike a few years ago. Believe it or not, the only long term solution I found was to spray a little WD40 onto the pad surface. It stops the squeak instantly, and you will be surprised as to how little it affects the 'sharpness' of the brake. Just be wary for the first 3-4 times you brake, once over this phase, back to normal but without the squeak !

Have a look at the front chainrings, are they thin and pointy? If so this is the problem.
Sometimes the only way to get rid of brake squeal is change to pads from a different manufacturer, some compounds squeal some don't

lpretro1

The slipping chain thing may be worn front rings or a problem with the freehub. Check rings for wear and if getting pointy or hooked over then change. If ok suspect freehub - try another wheel if you have one to see.

OP
OP
MrJamie

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Looks like the middle and big chainrings are quite worn compared to the little ring anyway, they look like shark teeth. I guess i managed to trash the chainrings aswell as the chain and cassette in not much over 2000 miles.

Im pretty sure its one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIMANO-A...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item43b02c8bcf Its listed as a Acera M361 48-38-28 on my bike spec and looks the same, measured it and it seems to be 175mm (Large frame). It says you can just replace the rings individually when theyre worn, but i cant see any for sale anywhere. If i had to buy a whole chainset, can i buy a different model?

OP
OP
MrJamie

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
OP
OP
MrJamie

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
With hindsight I think as I came coasting down the hill i pushed the shifter for double downshift and did a token crank revolution, but because the rear needed a minor reindexing it didnt complete the change quickly enough so when i put the power down it was mid change and slipped. Its been fine for the past week since checking the indexing front and back, so ill give it another chance before i replace the chainrings, looking at photos of new ones I think they still look okay. Thanks for help though, will be good when I change it :smile:

Front brakes are still squealing, cleaned the rims off with washing up liquid and dried them, lightly sanded the pads and it improved but not a lot. Its frustrating me like you wouldnt believe. Theyre £12 a pair Ashima triple compound pads, definitely brake better than the £3 value ones id been using previously but the squealing is awful when i brake behind pedestrians on shared use paths :/

sidevalve

Über Member
All brake squeal, it's simply vibration and usually if your lucky it's out of the normal hearing range. Your prblem is finding out where the vibration is occuring. It also depends on what type of brake you're using, as a free experiment try tightening / slackening the mounting bracket / caliper / fitting bolts. Just take a short ride on some backstreets with a spanner in you pocket. You may just be lucky, anyway, worth a try.

OP
OP
MrJamie

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
All brake squeal, it's simply vibration and usually if your lucky it's out of the normal hearing range. Your prblem is finding out where the vibration is occuring. It also depends on what type of brake you're using, as a free experiment try tightening / slackening the mounting bracket / caliper / fitting bolts. Just take a short ride on some backstreets with a spanner in you pocket. You may just be lucky, anyway, worth a try.
I loosened off the mount bolts and no difference at all, i used a scouring pad with washing up liquid and dried the rims off 1 at a time, seems cleaning one reduced it a bit, cleaning both reduced it completely but the squeal returns in just a few rides. Should I just be cleaning the rims a lot more often?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I loosened off the mount bolts and no difference at all, i used a scouring pad with washing up liquid and dried the rims off 1 at a time, seems cleaning one reduced it a bit, cleaning both reduced it completely but the squeal returns in just a few rides. Should I just be cleaning the rims a lot more often?

Worth washing the bikes after wet rides - certainly rims as it prolongs rim life. I wear rims out in 12 months of commuting, even with my over zealous cleaning.

Top Bottom