Slipping chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jamesxyz

I've just fitted a new chain and it's generally fine only it was slipping when I stood on the pedals for steep climbing - this only happened on the lowest 2 gears (i.e. large cogs on cassette - smallest ring on front).

I know this might be down to a worn cassette (it's done about 1600 miles but I'm pretty good awith regular cleaning etc) but could it be due to a chain that's too slack?

I shortened the chain to the same number of links as the old one which had been fitted by my LBS but when I compared this to Zinn's Road bike book it appeared to be one link too long according to the method he uses.
Could this be the problem? Should I remove the extra link anyway?

Advice greatly appreciated ...

ACW

knacked sprockets, change it quick! i fell of my bike by trying to push hard up a hill just after i had fitted a new chain and it slipped, ended up going over the handlebars.
as a quick fix put the old chain back on until you can get a new sprocket.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1

1600 miles is good going i would think, dependent on what the quality of the sprockets were to start with.

I tried to just change the chain and i could not even pedal more than 2 revolutions without it slipping .

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
If it is slipping intermittently and not too badly you can persevere and allow the chain/sprocket combo "bed in". If you don't put too much force on they will eventually become compatible. But as you are using your lowest gears when this happens it means that you'll have problems on the hardest climbs. So best bet is change the sprockets as has been advised.

I've gotten 10,000 miles out of one cassette, having changed chains a few times. It doesn't slip in the way you describe but I'm beginning to have difficulty with STI gear changes. I'll probably put it one my winter hack and use friction levers (cos they don't need all that fettling). But new cassette for best bike for sure.

OP
OP
jamesxyz

jamesxyz

cheers
went for a new cassette in the end.

I thought I'd change the chain early this time (.75% wear) to save the expense of replacing cassette etc.
The moral of this story I think is ride 'til they both wear out big time!

Top Bottom