Slovakia vs. Italy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Yes, good game... Italy a bit unlucky, I reckon (though only have selves to blame for being asleep earlier)

couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of greasy, dirty, diving cheats. apart from france of course. so 2 for 0 so far, result.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I make no secret of the fact that I dislike professional football but despite that bear with me.

Last night I got home, channel flicked for some news and ended up with the last 20 mins of the Italy-Slovakia match. Rarely have I derived so much pleasure from a bit of football. From the Italy games I watched years ago I remember indescribably boring teams kicking the ball around in their own half for 85 mins and then snatching a goal.

Last night for about 15 mins of the last 20 the Italians for the first time in my life actually attempted to play football and it was a joy to see them getting what they deserved from a team that actually was prepared to play.

But what stuck was an incident which reinforced why I dislike football so much: the scramble in the back of the net between the Slovakian goaly and the Italian forward. The Slovakian waved his hand at the Italian in an incredibly girly manner and the Italian promptly went down like he had been shot. Pathetic. They are simply not men and that IMHO is what is wrong with football. Roll on the rugby. I've no wish to wind genuine football fans up and so will probably not contribute again but I think that that had to be said.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Andy in Sig said:
I make no secret of the fact that I dislike professional football but despite that bear with me.

Last night I got home, channel flicked for some news and ended up with the last 20 mins of the Italy-Slovakia match. Rarely have I derived so much pleasure from a bit of football. From the Italy games I watched years ago I remember indescribably boring teams kicking the ball around in their own half for 85 mins and then snatching a goal.

Last night for about 15 mins of the last 20 the Italians for the first time in my life actually attempted to play football and it was a joy to see them getting what they deserved from a team that actually was prepared to play.

But what stuck was an incident which reinforced why I dislike football so much: the scramble in the back of the net between the Slovakian goaly and the Italian forward. The Slovakian waved his hand at the Italian in an incredibly girly manner and the Italian promptly went down like he had been shot. Pathetic. They are simply not men and that IMHO is what is wrong with football. Roll on the rugby. I've no wish to wind genuine football fans up and so will probably not contribute again but I think that that had to be said.

Only 'probably not'? It's all a bit deja-vuvuzela.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
OK then: guaranteed not at all unless I witness another example of footballers behaving in the way that makes them so contemptible. That said the chances are small because I positively avoid watching the matches and only stumbled on the end of that one by chance. Just as long as England don't win the cup (we really would never hear the end of it). Mind you, I'm told by people who follow the game that there is no chance of that.:smile:

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It was a great game which had everything - handbags and deception included. If you didn't enjoy this game, you simply don't understand football.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Andy, don't mistake the actions of a player falling like he's been shot after a girlie slap as any indication of lack of manhood. It is a blatant attempt to con the referee and get an opponant sent off, which requires an enviable display of acting talent and is one of the primary skills of the game, something to be admired rather than condoned.

Top Bottom