Slow London Marathon Runners 3.5mph Abused.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Good morning,

Did everyone read the BBC article? :-)

The key point of the article was that the participants were complaining that the race organisers and volunteers manning the water stations (disputed) were not prepared to wait for them.

runners on Tower Bridge had also had "dodge round sewage collection lorries" and run through chemical spray used to clean the streets.

as early as the three-mile mark, water stations had been packed away

It was this sense of entitlement that I thought worth talking about.

Bye

Ian
They were running at the pace of the official pacer. That's not a sense of entitlement, that's being part of the event. Of course the organisers and volunteers should be prepared to wait for them.

Edit: unless it was made absolutely clear in a pre-race briefing that they wouldn't.

Edit2: I can see the argument for scaling things down at a certain point but the organisers should be aware of how many people are still out on the course and make sure that appropriate facilities are still available.

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Audax has a cut off time so not totally unreasonable to consider one. Extremely poor that they suffered abuse though - no excuse for that.

If you turn up towards the end of an Audax they can by tidying up around you. Normally still get a cuppa and cake though and newer suffered abuse.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Audax has a cut off time so not totally unreasonable to consider one. Extremely poor that they suffered abuse though - no excuse for that.

If you turn up towards the end of an Audax they can by tidying up around you. Normally still get a cuppa and cake though and newer suffered abuse.
Why beat a man when he’s already down....

Gary E

Veteran
I took part in a 65 mile sponsored ride a few years ago. I finished in about three and a half hours (I did say it was a few years ago), got showered and changed and then stood at the finish line with all the other riders cheering and applauding the people that were still coming in. The odd thing is that the later people came in, the bigger the cheer they got because, for these people the ride was harder and took more effort than it had for the people that finished in front of them. I'm honestly more impressed by a fat bloke (like me) dragging himself round on a bike than a racing snake on a TT bike doing twice the speed!
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that, if anything, the stragglers deserve more respect :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Ian. once you have gone out and walked 26 miles. You may then have the experience to criticise.

I am riding the Transcontinental Race at a slow pace. Its only 4000km. If you want to join me, instead of being an armchair critic. You would be very welcome. .

JhnBssll

Veteran
My wife completed it a few years ago in a little over 7hrs. She walked a large chunk of it after suffering a stress fracture in a half marathon a month earlier. She was determined to get round the course regardless of the pain and was eventually caught by the sweepers, but not overtaken :okay: I was immensely proud of her and still am, whilst I love cycling the thought of running that distance doesn't sound at all appealling to me :laugh:

alicat

Legendary Member
You are wanting to ban a good few people there, many with disabilities.

I hadn't thought of people with disabilities. In that case, 7.5 hours seems a reasonable cut off.

I was thinking of people who do need to get on with their lives and have a reasonable entitlement to use the roads, like women in labour and people going to visit/care for friends and relatives.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Morning grumpy !

screenman

Legendary Member
I hadn't thought of people with disabilities. In that case, 7.5 hours seems a reasonable cut off.

I was thinking of people who do need to get on with their lives and have a reasonable entitlement to use the roads, like women in labour and people going to visit/care for friends and relatives.

I think you will find even with the road closure measures are in place for emergencies and most roads are open after 7.5 hours. So you think somebody disabled who might take twelve hours should not be allowed to enter, sorry but I totally have to disagree with you on that one. The event should not be and is not just for elite athletes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My wife completed it a few years ago in a little over 7hrs. She walked a large chunk of it after suffering a stress fracture in a half marathon a month earlier. She was determined to get round the course regardless of the pain and was eventually caught by the sweepers, but not overtaken :okay: I was immensely proud of her and still am, whilst I love cycling the thought of running that distance doesn't sound at all appealling to me :laugh:
Kudos to your wife.

I discovered after completing my one and only marathon nearly 20 years ago that the ankle problem that I was doing my best to ignore was actually a stress fracture. It was the end of my running career. The tedium of marathon training had taken all the fun out of it. I had time off for my ankle to recover and never started again. I enjoyed it for a few years and did a fair few half marathons (much more civilised distance) but that was the end.

Last edited:

tfc03

Veteran
I think you are all being a bit hard on Ian, his principal point was, "I just don't get the point of entering the London Marathon to walk it". And I wondered the same thing watching them on Sunday morning. They walked off the start line. Maybe they ran bits later on, maybe they got injured in the lead up/ couldnt train etc, maybe its just ok, but I think it a reasonable question to ask, if only to understand better. Doing a charity 26 mile walk is brilliant; Ive cheered people over the line taking 2+ hours for a 10k, where its been mostly walking for them, but I do think its an odd choice of event if they just walked.

lane

Veteran
Why beat a man when he’s already down....

I was not suggesting we beat anyone - although if I were slow marathon competitors would not be on my list. I guess the audax time limits are partly for practicality so the organiser can clear up and go home. I have never been too bothered having turned up at the end of an audax and they are clearing away around me because I am slow. I certainly would not expect to suffer abuse as I made clear in my post and it is disgraceful behaviour.

Top Bottom