Slow Technology (Rant warning)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Software writers who instead of writing new clean code overlay stuff on top of old code , who cares if it take a few more microseconds to reach the end if you have so much processing power.
It all adds up.
It certainly does. I work as a software engineer in the Air Traffic Control software industry, helping to develop some software with about a million lines of code (and that's just one application that interacts with many others, written and maintained by other software teams). One thing my company is good at, fortunately, is a very rigorous code-review process designed to stop the 'adding layers' effect, because that much code is hard enough to add to as it is.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
The thing I love about my new Samsung smart tv is the way it sometimes records what you've set it to record, and sometimes doesn't. The only reason I'm not that steamed about it is that when I bought it I didn't know it could record at all, so the fact that it does sometimes is kind of a bonus.

Don't worry, after a few years the apps will start disappearing and you'll be forced to go out and by an Apple TV. It was the ITV app that stopped working initially and no one would tell me why.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Don't worry, after a few years the apps will start disappearing and you'll be forced to go out and by an Apple TV. It was the ITV app that stopped working initially and no one would tell me why.
From my admittedly limited experience with them (a phone and a telly, and the googling I've done around issues encountered) it does appear to be the case that Samsung's approach to glitches, complaints, customer queries and the like is to simply ignore them, and trust in the sheer weight of technological development to keep the overall juggernaut rumbling on.

snorri

Legendary Member
Part of the delay on TVs is that now they actually have to 'build' the picture.
Analog TV - receive frame, display it.
Digital TV - wait for first picture in group, decompress it, then wait for first interpolated picture and decompress that. Now start building first five frames working forwards from full picture and backwards from first interpolated picture. The sound is compressed using a different method, and has to be uncompressed and output to sync with the video. It's an immense amount of number crunching to do!
Yeah, well if it's so clever why can't it do all that before I switch it on?:angry::angry::angry:

:biggrin:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well, it doesn't know what channel you want to watch :biggrin:
And if they make one that does, there'll be plenty of criticism of the creepy TVs that snoop on you.

It could decode every channel just in case, but that would cost a lot more (multiple tuning circuits) and use a lot more electricity in standby, so would also get flamed to hell.

It's a no-win situation.

Top Bottom