Slow Technology (Rant warning)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Software writers who instead of writing new clean code overlay stuff on top of old code , who cares if it take a few more microseconds to reach the end if you have so much processing power.
It all adds up.
What's more, many software writers chase the latest and greatest technology (or get given it sometimes) so don't even notice how much their software sucks on year-old hardware, plus most of them are still so far insulated from actual real world end users that they don't see the complaints - agile methods have changed that a bit, but even then it's still far too acceptable for software experts to blame hardware and say it needs upgrading to the latest.

There's also a disturbing subset who have absolutely no concept of how memory usage and CPU time can vary wildly between different algorithms to achieve the same result and always pick their favourite routines regardless of the situation - at least it's better than ones who cling to habits that have long been revealed as insecure. :cursing:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would hate to get stressed or up tight over a few seconds waiting, spend the time doing a few situps or stretches, or even a bit of meditation. Even better thought, top your glass up.
It's a bit suboptimal to do any of those at the checkout, especially topping your glass up because it's difficult to cycle home without spilling the pint, so I'd want to drink it first and the cycle park ain't a great location for it, even ignoring the people muttering about "problem drinkers" and that I think you're not meant to drink purchases on the premises of an off-licence, are you?

screenman

Legendary Member
It's a bit suboptimal to do any of those at the checkout, especially topping your glass up because it's difficult to cycle home without spilling the pint, so I'd want to drink it first and the cycle park ain't a great location for it, even ignoring the people muttering about "problem drinkers" and that I think you're not meant to drink purchases on the premises of an off-licence, are you?

Ok maybe I did not think that post through properly.^_^

U

User33236

.....The portrait and landscape modes on mobile phones. So slow to respond.

The auto brightness on mobile phones: constantly adjusting it's brightness even though ambient light conditions remain constant.
Android phone by any chance? You need one of those fruit ones.

U

User33236

Software writers who instead of writing new clean code overlay stuff on top of old code , who cares if it take a few more microseconds to reach the end if you have so much processing power.
It all adds up.
My iMac, one of the early Intel ones, runs faster today than when I bought it as Apple took the brave(??!) move of stripping out all the old PowerPC kernel a couple of OS upgrades later and has refined its performance ever since.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Conversely it's been a while since I spent hours editing a Dos boot disk to free up 300 bytes of Ems memory space.

Oh, and and most business coders would love to be able to start from a clean slate when making major changes... But in many cases the bean counters have decided that that would take longer and cost more, and you have to keep building spaghetti code till the whole thing either grinds to a halt or falls over in a snotty heap.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Part of the delay on TVs is that now they actually have to 'build' the picture.
Analog TV - receive frame, display it.
Digital TV - wait for first picture in group, decompress it, then wait for first interpolated picture and decompress that. Now start building first five frames working forwards from full picture and backwards from first interpolated picture. The sound is compressed using a different method, and has to be uncompressed and output to sync with the video. It's an immense amount of number crunching to do!

My newest CD player, switch it on and press 'eject' does it bloody open...............................not until you've waited for it to tell you 'No Disk' :cursing:
Ah, and the most useless button ever on CD/blu ray players remotes - "Eject" . Only thing I find it useful for is annoying my wife as she bends down to take the disc out and it smoothly slides back into the machine :evil:

Top Bottom