Slowed down by the Mrs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bianco

Well, first of all I'm well chuffed the Mrs is riding to work, as we now both work at the same place. She's gonna start losing weight and become a fitter, healthier person.

However, she's not incredibly road aware, and relies upon me to block traffic so they don't drive too near. She cycles at a very leisurely 10mph average, and can't make it up any hills.

I don't want to discourage her from cycling, yet I can't stand it taking forever to get too and from work. I feel like I'm going to loose my pretty good 20mph average. Luckily its only for 3 months then her shift changes permanantly till 6am - 2pm.

Help me Mr's and Mrs's on what I should do.

Regards

Mr. Bianco

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You follow her, then go out for an extra few miles...... 'cos you both can't use the shower at the same time...oh yes you can....but that's not for here :biggrin:

It's quite easy really: ride at her pace.

Her confidence will increase, as will her awareness of traffic and situations. Bullying or coaxing her into cycling at a pace beyond her safety zone will make her feel uncomfortable to say the least. It's better to be patient and have a cycling partner, than to scare her off for good.

Patience, bianco, patience! :biggrin:

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Discuss with her about when she 'goes solo' in three months time.

What is she concerned about, how can you help with that, etc?

It might be that she would like some adult riding lessons or a week in Spain with the bikes enjoying some warm weather riding that would boost both her fitness and confidence.

But nurture what you have got. As Davyo says, any riding is better than none.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm in a similar position...torn between enjoying the wifes new found interest with me, with all its other health benefits...and struggling with the 'steady' rides.
To be fair, she motors along at 15 mph quite happily, struggles with the hills a bit, but overall does ok. She will improve, as will your wife bianco.

Slightly different for me, i just enjoy the steady rides, then make up for it on solo rides, or as fossyant says, put in that extra mileage on the end.

I wouldnt worry too much about loss of fitness. If i have a month of little time on the bike, i worry i'm going to struggle. Yet when i do go out, i seem to have more vigour. Maybe not the speed...but i do feel more refreshed.

neslon

ride an MTB with proper knobbly tires - that'll slow you down and you'll still get a work out. Or do what I do when out with the growler - drive out early with the bike on the car, ride home, then ride out with her to the car, put her & the bike on & carry on on the bike. Works if you aren't in London.

Arch

Married to Night Train
What Dayvo said.

And have you got a copy of Cyclecraft? If not, get one and go through it together. You'll be able to highlight parts that apply to your route, and get her to think about how you tackle them...

cupoftea

Get a fat tired bike, put a wing mirror on it and get her to follow you.

She'll get used to following your lines and she'll also try and keep up.

If you see that she's struggling, drop back behind her, if everytime she rides her bike it becomes a training session she'll stop going.

Make it fun

wafflycat

Dayvo said:
It's quite easy really: ride at her pace.

Her confidence will increase, as will her awareness of traffic and situations. Bullying or coaxing her into cycling at a pace beyond her safety zone will make her feel uncomfortable to say the least. It's better to be patient and have a cycling partner, than to scare her off for good.

Patience, bianco, patience! :biggrin:

Wot he sed.

Plus...

Buy her a present or two that shows you really care: cycle training.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4135
Get her a copy of Cyclecraft for some suitable bedtime reading
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

Most of all - do *not* whinge about her lack of speed, as that's going to likely make her feel inadequate, uselss and put her off. Consider yourself lucky that you have such a caring spouse, as if you tried that whinging with me, you'd be suffering, my good man... *suffering* in all sorts of ways a wife can make a man *really suffer* :biggrin::biggrin:

Instead: ecourage, encourage, encourage, encourage and develop *patience*

gbb

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Wot he sed.

Plus...

Buy her a present or two that shows you really care: cycle training.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4135
Get her a copy of Cyclecraft for some suitable bedtime reading
http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/

Most of all - do *not* whinge about her lack of speed, as that's going to likely make her feel inadequate, uselss and put her off. Consider yourself lucky that you have such a caring spouse, as if you tried that whinging with me, you'd be suffering, my good man... *suffering* in all sorts of ways a wife can make a man *really suffer* :biggrin::ohmy:

Instead: ecourage, encourage, encourage, encourage and develop *patience*

Christ, i just wet myself...you scare the pants off me, and i dont even know you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

wafflycat

gbb said:
Christ, i just wet myself...you scare the pants off me, and i dont even know you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Consider the life of my poor husband! :biggrin:

My poor husband is actually the sweetest of men. He's bought me all of my steeds, does all my bike maintenance, and doesn't mind if I just up and out on my bike for the day. Love him to bits :biggrin:

Top Bottom