Slowly getting back to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For me, it's all about 'gradually'

It has to be a gradual build up, if you've had an extended layup, whether through mishap or just got out of the routine of riding. Until the end of last year, I hadn't ridden a bike regularly for more years than I care to admit, and although I have always been fairly strong because I don't do a sedentary job, my fitness level leaves a lot to be desired.
I'm going more miles per riding day now, and getting a bit quicker, but the sobering reality is that I am still slower overall now, on a 18 speed quality hybrid weighing 31 lbs, than I was 20 years ago on a basic 3-speed all-steel roadster which weighs about 37 lbs. That's even with the advantage of the much closer-spaced gear ratio choices and lower bike weight giving me a helping hand.

Basically, the pain is not a lot different from before surgery. This would seem to indicate that although the collarbone work needed doing, it wasn't part of the problem as such. As the rotator cuff is still as it was, it still hurts, something the surgeon said would abate quickly. He was assuming a lot of the pain was the arthritic collarbone. So, although the shoulder is getting stronger, due to a good physio, nothing has changed substantially. However, that's what I'm left with, so essentaially have to get on with it. Not helped by not yet having been follwed up so I can voice these concerns.
I shall progress nonetheless!
:smile:

Doobiesis

Über Member
Basically, the pain is not a lot different from before surgery. This would seem to indicate that although the collarbone work needed doing, it wasn't part of the problem as such. As the rotator cuff is still as it was, it still hurts, something the surgeon said would abate quickly. He was assuming a lot of the pain was the arthritic collarbone. So, although the shoulder is getting stronger, due to a good physio, nothing has changed substantially. However, that's what I'm left with, so essentaially have to get on with it. Not helped by not yet having been follwed up so I can voice these concerns.
I shall progress nonetheless!
:smile:

I gave up on the hospital physio and am doing it myself I do it regular enough. Will probs pay for it once I have a job.

My pain has gone pretty much I get the odd pain when I pick something up or move my arm in a funny way. Once it stopped hurting on turbo I knew I was ready to go out, but waited till exams were over.

Sounds to me like you need to go back to your consultant.

I managed 16.45 miles, avg 10.0mph, 1237ft elev gain. Although I had to stop and rest I DID make it up to Leg O'Mutton without walking. Two short stops. Never got close to that before, so a bit of a PB there. Definitely need to step the chainrings down from 52-42-30t to, say 48-38-28. Even in my absolute lowest gear, a guy came slowly winching past, his feet certainly making two revs for every one of mine...
Needs some fd fettling - attempting to engage the big ring on the way back threw the chain right off.

All in all - good ride, but boy, can I feel it!

Doobiesis

Über Member
I managed 30.9 miles 1,222 ft elevation gain. And 11.6 avg speed. A lot slower than normally do that route and I stopped a lot more. But it was hot.

We’ll get there mate.

Top Bottom