Slowly getting back to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Today was my second ride on the converted Scott and only my fourth in 6 months since the off. I managed 3 laps of Burrator reservoir, 11.6 miles at an average of 11.5mph. Nothing startling, but all good riding.
20180519_152304.jpg

Still some fettling to do, but minor things.
Very pleased with it so far. Shoulder also holding up, although it will be some time before I try anything even vaguely bumpy.
:okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Always nice to hear some one is back riding a bike.

an average of 12mph was what I considered good when I used to commute, excellent was 15, but that was only possible on a good smooth run with no stop-starts and was rare to see.

so, good work!

My average today would have been much lower, ended up doing some off roading on the road bike :biggrin:

The average on that run is always good. It's a nearly flat (not to me!) 3.8 miles circuit that is quite easy to keep up a reasonable speed on, walkers and others permitting. My usual average is about 10, although now I've sussed this bike, I hope to improve on that.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Today was my second ride on the converted Scott and only my fourth in 6 months since the off. I managed 3 laps of Burrator reservoir, 11.6 miles at an average of 11.5mph. Nothing startling, but all good riding.:okay:

You're faster than me, and I'm making an effort to ride regularly i.e. at least every other day, weather permitting. Last ride out on my old Raleigh Pioneer, I did 13 miles at an average of 9.6 mph, that was a mixture of urban road, cycle path, and gravel path/woods tracks.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
16 more Pioneer miles this morning, same mix of surfaces, average of 9.9 mph this time, so you're still quicker than me - not that I'm interested in racing about to try and be fast, I'm more curious than anything about how my rides are progressing. Most I've done in one day since I went back on a bike is 25 miles, so I'm going to try and increase my daily max by 1 mile at a time to build up gradually. Got another 10 miles left to do now I've had a cup of tea.

Back around Burrator today, so hot I only managed 2 and a bit laps, 8.3 miles.
Map My Ride says 8.34, in 38.02 mins (moving), 111 avg HR, avg speed 13.2mph. Had I managed 3 laps, that average would have reduced significantly.
Just happy to be riding. The slightly narrower new bar i fiited the other day has slightly increased the reach and I'm also noticing more weight on my hands today, so some adjustments to be made.
But I aim to get as many rides as my shoulder will agree to!

Mvm1

Im also returning to the business (quitted 2 yrs), been training 1-3 days/week alternating road/mtb... tbh I feel weak since im not sure if I need to work on a base in order to feel better.

Great job returning and I wish the best luck!.

ozboz

Guru
Your in a nice place to cycle , I used to stay in the Burrator Hotel when I was working down that way , and went back for a night about 4 years ago with GF and had a walk around the res, I’d say your going well !

Top Bottom